Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: LLE/HLE..?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Which is preferable,

I was led to believe from the forums that LLE was superior, but after dumping mine i just experience huge amounts of audio stuttering/slowdown rendering the games unplayable (at least if i want to preserve my sanity) HLE on the other hand, apart from the out of sync & generally weird high/low sound effects i find far more able to tolerate.

Is there anything else i can do to further improve either of these plugins..?

i7 920 4.4Ghz
12GB Ram
Sapphire 2GB 6970

Thanks.
You can use lle on thread for improved performance.
You fail to mention on what games you are using LLE/HLE.
You should only use LLE when you need it, as it will slow your performance. (depending on the game and your pc).

HLE works perfectly fine, with most games, no issues at all.
(10-20-2011, 09:31 PM)Link_to_the_past Wrote: [ -> ]You can use lle on thread for improved performance.

Thanks, but i have already tried that & it's useless i'm afraid.. slows the games down far too much.. any other suggestions?

(10-20-2011, 11:01 PM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]You fail to mention on what games you are using LLE/HLE.
You should only use LLE when you need it, as it will slow your performance. (depending on the game and your pc).

HLE works perfectly fine, with most games, no issues at all.

OK,

The 2 games i am having the most significant sound issues with are Twilight Princess (GC) & Metroid Prime both PAL, when using HLE on either game the sound is generally out of sync (sometimes it's OK but this is rare) either the sound effects or music drown the other out, & certain effects can't be heard at all..?
I have played & completed both games multiple times on a Gamecube and know exactly how they should sound.

What Dolphin version are you using?
It would also help if you posted your settings.

You should check out this thread for Twilight Princess.
And here for Metroid Prime.

Couldn't hurt to check out the wiki's either, which can be found here for TP and here for Metroid Prime.
(10-20-2011, 11:21 PM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]What Dolphin version are you using?
It would also help if you posted your settings.

You should check out this thread for Twilight Princess.
And here for Metroid Prime.

Couldn't hurt to check out the wiki's either, which can be found here for TP and here for Metroid Prime.

Dolphin 3.0

Direct3D9
1920x1200
Stretch to Window
Fullscreen
Auto (Window size)
Anti-Aliasing 4x SSAA
Anisotropic Filtering 16x
Scaled EFB Copy
Ignore Format Changes
EFB Copies - Texture
Enable Dual Core
Enable Idle Skipping
JIT Recompiler
DSP HLE
Enable Audio Throttle
XAudio2 (tried DSound no difference)
48000 Hz

LLE - more accurate emulation of audio. Less issues (various audio problems) but requires a lot more processing power.

HLE - less accurate emulation of audio. More issues but requires a lot less processing power.

If you don't have enough processing power performance will decrease which can also lead to audio issues. LLE is the proper way to emulate audio but if your hardware isn't fast enough to run a game with it at fullspeed then you need to use HLE to improve your performance. It's as simply as that.

These dsp emulator engines were designed with the future in mind. One day hardware will be good enough where running games with LLE won't be a problem. But in the meantime a lot of people complained about performance so some of the developers created the HLE emulator engine in the meantime to appease these people.
(10-20-2011, 11:01 PM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]HLE works perfectly fine, with most games, no issues at all.

It actually has a lot of issues Tongue

@the op : your comp should be more than enough for LLE. Try disabling audio throttle.
Also, I've seen you saying that enabling LLE ont thread slows the games down... This is simply abnormal (I'm using LLE on thread with ZTP and it gives a very nice speedup in heavy areas without any glitch). You should check your temps and maybe all the power management stuff in your BIOS. To me it sounds like your CPU is automatically lowering its clock... I may be wrong though.
Basically to make it really simple: If you can run a game at constant 100% use LLE, in every other case use HLE or the audio will skip.

HLE has more problems but it tolerates gamespeeds other than 100%.