Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Broke My Video Card!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

dmwdp001

Okay, I'm not sure that's what happened, but it seem likely.

I've been playing The Sims 3 on Ubuntu via Wine for over a year and haven't had ANY graphics problems since Wine 1.2 came out. A while ago I downloaded dolphin and tried to play Wind Waker on it, it looked fine but suffered lag. When I tried to play The Sims 3 again the graphics where screwed up! Firstly the water didn't render at all except at the edges of land, and whenever the game took a portrait of a family or sim I made, it would be rendered in the wind waker toon shader with no transparency when there should have been.

Like I said, I've been running The Sims 3 in Ubuntu for ages without trouble and the graphics driver and wine version being used were unchanged. The fact that the game was rendering things in the zelda shader seems to imply that dolphin did something to my video card. I reinstalled my graphics drivers, even reinstalled Ubuntu, but to no avail. I did however try running a game that doesn't use toon shader (Soul Caliber 2) then running the sims again, the issue with the toon shaders cleared up but the water still doesn't work.

My questions are: Is it even possible that dolphin could do this? And, if so what's the easiest way to fix it?

I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 on a Core 2 Quad Q8200 with 4GB of DDR2. My graphics card is an nVidia 9800GT with 512MB VRAM using Ubuntu's 'current' drivers. While trying to get dolphin working as best as possible I used three versions, r7258, 3.0 and another, more recent revision, I can't remember or find which one. I was also fiddling with ALL of the emulator settings in the process, so any of them could have caused this.

I hope I provided you this enough info, thank you.
Were you using Dolphin on Wine? Maybe your Wine graphics setting are screwed up. Try to build from the source using Linux and the instructions here: http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/wiki/Linux_Build
At the best, Dolphin could be pushing the performance of your video card, but it's unlikely, since this is a CPU-intensive, more than a GPU-intensive emulator.

Sounds like a VRAM problem. Check your video memory with some native testing program for linux.
Dolphin cannot change your hardware in any way. It's either a problem with your hardware or a problem with wine.