Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Graphics Backend Changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been busy lately, so if this has been discussed/announced I apologize, my search game me nothing.

Seems lately there been changes to the graphics backend, I use DX9, and on the latest revisions (I think 3.0 too but I can't remember) there is no more controls for the window resolution, just for fullscreen mode. There is only the Auto Adjust window size setting, which doesn't let you set the resolution, it just can make it equal to your internal res. I just would like to know why is that and if I missed something, like a forum thread or else about it please could someone point me that? :p

That's no real problem, but there's another one, this one isn't on 3.0, and its really annoying. Recently, if I set a non widescreen resolution, while having a widescreen monitor, like 1024x768, Dolphin will stretch the image to the screen size, instead of just making it 4:3. That when I'm using Auto or Force 4:3 as aspect ratio. If I force 16:9 it only makes the game even more wide, (black borders on top and below the image). Again, I'd like to know why was this done, tough I'm starting to think this is a bug.

Thanks,
Wink
Quote:Seems lately there been changes to the graphics backend, I use DX9, and on the latest revisions (I think 3.0 too but I can't remember) there is no more controls for the window resolution, just for fullscreen mode. There is only the Adjust window size setting, which. doesn't let you set the resolution, it just makes it equal to your internal res. I just would like to know why is that and if I missed something, like a forum thread or else about it please could someone point me that?

That sentence doesn't make sense. The windows size is the same thing as window resolution.

Just like how fullscreen resolution doesn't effect the internal resolution neither does windowed resolution. The windowed resolution is the size of the window - the borders.

Quote:That's no real problem, but there's another one, this one isn't on 3.0, and its really annoying. Recently, if I set a non widescreen resolution, while having a widescreen monitor, like 1024x768, Dolphin will stretch the image to the screen size, instead of just making it 4:3. That when I'm using Auto or Force 4:3 as aspect ratio. If I force 16:9 it only makes the game even more wide, (black borders on top and below the image). Again, I'd like to know why was this done, tough I'm starting to think this is a bug.

Well that's the correct behavior for force 16:9. If you're using a 16:10 monitor a 16:9 image will have small black bars on the top/bottom. Auto seems to be using "stretch to window" behavior, which I think they did on purpose. Auto used to run 4:3 games in 4:3 mode (black bars on the sides) and games that supported 16:9 in 16:9 mode. However I believe they changed it since most people seem to prefer stretched images over black bars (not totally sure, it might be a bug).

However force 4:3 should not take up all of your screen space, that has to be a bug.
(10-15-2011, 12:21 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]That sentence doesn't make sense. The windows size is the same thing as window resolution.

Just like how fullscreen resolution doesn't effect the internal resolution neither does windowed resolution. The windowed resolution is the size of the window - the borders.

Yeah, I know its the same thing Tongue
But the option named Auto Adjust Window Size just makes the window resolution same as your internal resolution, which isn't what I was looking for, that's what I meant, sorry it was confuse ^^

Yeah I dunno, felt better when I could input an exact number, but anyways, as I said, this one doesn't make much difference, so I didn't even bother asking before Wink

(10-15-2011, 12:21 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Well that's the correct behavior for force 16:9. If you're using a 16:10 monitor a 16:9 image will have small black bars on the top/bottom. Auto seems to be using "stretch to window" behavior, which I think they did on purpose. Auto used to run 4:3 games in 4:3 mode (black bars on the sides) and games that supported 16:9 in 16:9 mode. However I believe they changed it since most people seem to prefer stretched images over black bars (not totally sure, it might be a bug).

However force 4:3 should not take up all of your screen space, that has to be a bug.

Yeah, because when I use a wide resolution (like 1280x720) It put the black borders on the sides and doesn't stretch :/ It does the box correctly
Quote:Yeah, because when I use a wide resolution (like 1280x720) It put the black borders on the sides and doesn't stretch :/ It does the box correctly

Ok so then there is no problem.....

If you're using a widescreen resolution you will get black bars on the left/right in a 4:3 game unless you stretch (stretch to window option). With a fullscreen aspect ratio (1024 x 768 is 4:3) games should take up the entire screen space because they are the same aspect ration unless you force 16:9.
Only problem is my GFX card is pretty weak so setting 1280x720 loses me some fps against 1024x768, which is how I used to play it, I don't like stretched things, but nevermind then, thanks for answering.
Fullscreen/windowed resolution has zero impact on GPU load. Only internal resolution affects GPU load, you probably left internal resolution on auto. Adjust your IR as necessary and you'll be fine.
(10-16-2011, 05:54 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]you probably left internal resolution on auto.

Yeah that was it, thanks, I didn't even think about looking at this ^^