Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Buying Wii games and backing them up ok?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

tehmushroom

Hi, sorry if I shouldn't be posting this here, but I don't know where else to ask.

I am very interested in using Dolphin with my comp for playing wii games because it would be an amazing experience especially in co-op. I would like to know if I would get into any trouble for buying games and backing them up and playing them on my computer. Is it illegal to back up my wii games that I own? Nintendo's website makes it sound as if it is. If it is....then have there ever been any major lawsuits etc from Nintendo towards dolphin users that back up wii games with raw dump 2.1 and have a dvd drive that reads wii discs? Has nintendo ever pursued any legal action with the dolphin emulator in general?

Thank you for your time I appreciate it
its fine todo this.
As long as YOU RIP THEM from YOUR disc it's ok Wink
And Nintendo wants to sell his consoles so he isn't supposed to encourage you to use an emulator Tongue
As far as I heard, Nintendo has never taken action against a user of backups, even pirates. What they have done is sued some makers/vendors of devices that allows piracy (such as R4) and people distributing ROMs. Also one Australian guy that made a NSMBWii torrent 2 weeks before any release, and posting identifying personal info in a forum with the torrent, got an out-of-court deal of paying them some $millions, but seems more like a media strategy to advertise his punishment; since it's a secret deal, and he might not have to pay or something, as he chose it over court.

So it doesn't seem Nintendo wants to waste any resources even fighting an average pirate user, so you shouldn't worry anything by legally backing up your games. (If you are using a modified wii, your risks are loss of warranty, higher repair costs, and online bans)
I think it's perfectly OK and legit to rip your own bought games and the consoles bios for personal use and for archival purposes.

I don't feel like I'm doing something wrong and have made backups of almost every game I own for years now and several bios dumps for various consoles like PSX, PS2, Sega Saturn etc. for use in a emulator to run the games.
Obtaining and purchasing the right equipment is very easy if you know where to look and it feels great knowing my game and console collection can stay in good shape while I still can play them on the side.

Here's my logic, and Nintendo's representatives are welcome to respond.

Installing Dolphin is like buying a used Wii, Nintendo wouldn't see a penny from the transaction.

If you purchase the games retail and rip them to your hard drive, It's the same thing as making a copy for archival purposes, Nintendo gets their cut and the original becomes the archive disc.

Where it gets tricky is what you do with the original disc after it's ripped. If you give the game to someone else without deleting your rip, then there are now two games but Nintendo was only paid for one, thus Nintendo takes a loss. Expect cops and a court date.

The proper thing to do in a situation like Dolphin, is to keep the original games you rip as archives until you are ready to part with them. When you are done with the game, delete the files on your PC before making it available to someone else. That way there won't be a clone on your conscience or the lawbooks.

Hope this helps you. :3
There is so much that can be said about this and that with topics like these.
To make a long answer short: Yes it's perfectly fine.

I see no problem in dumping your own bought GC/Wii games for usage with Dolphin or other games for other consoles for that matter.
The reason I'm doing it because I want an even more enhanced experience with some of the greatest games made for these consoles.

We all strive to enhance the experience with things somehow and games is no exception.

Thanks for all the responses guys Smile. I appreciate them all.

Yes this is tehmushroom....I have a new account because I couldn't log into tehmushroom lol.

(11-10-2011, 12:16 AM)supermariogalaxy Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for all the responses guys Smile. I appreciate them all.

Yes this is tehmushroom....I have a new account because I couldn't log into tehmushroom lol.

No problem but couldn't you just clicked the Lost Password? link and retrieve a new one?
Pages: 1 2