Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Intel turbo boost not working with dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Ouch4u

Basically the Turbo boost tech on my intel i7 shuts itself down when i enter full screen, usually on every game after less than a minute. Is there a way to fix this or is the dolphin full screen just buggy? or is it a problem with my processor?
overheating...
install realTemp

did you see on the bottom of realTemp the status bar with 4x "OK"?
now play dolphin
if one of the status changed from "OK" to something (i forgot what)
than your cpu overheated and throotled down

use a folder under your notebook
to support the aircooling
(if you play in your bed)
Turn on lock threads to cores.

Ouch4u

(10-13-2011, 07:24 AM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]overheating...
install realTemp

did you see on the bottom of realTemp the status bar with 4x "OK"?
now play dolphin
if one of the status changed from "OK" to something (i forgot what)
than your cpu overheated and throotled down

use a folder under your notebook
to support the aircooling
(if you play in your bed)

I just checked and it the status stayed ok.

It seems to shut down after a load screen, when dolphin clears the cache. In Twilight Princess it shuts down after i teleport to a different province or immediately after i go full screen.

(10-13-2011, 08:47 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Turn on lock threads to cores.

I think llock thread to cores isnt good for cpus that use hyperthreading, correct me if im wrong. If it isnt does dolphin run better if i turn off hyperthreading in the bios?
Quote:correct me if im wrong.

Ok then, YOU'RE WRONG Tongue.

Dolphins lock threads to cores option has been properly set up for cpus with HT for over 1000 revisions now. The only reason the developers decided to keep the option was because it benefits users with turbo boost/turbo core enabled cpus. By locking the threads to two/three cores instead of allowing them to jump between cores you force the software to only ever use two/three cores. This causes powergate and turbo boost to take affect in a much more significant way (cut off power to idle cores and boost the multiplier of the active cores).

Ouch4u

(10-13-2011, 12:22 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:correct me if im wrong.

Ok then, YOU'RE WRONG Tongue.

Dolphins lock threads to cores option has been properly set up for cpus with HT for over 1000 revisions now. The only reason the developers decided to keep the option was because it benefits users with turbo boost/turbo core enabled cpus. By locking the threads to two/three cores instead of allowing them to jump between cores you force the software to only ever use two/three cores. This causes powergate and turbo boost to take affect in a much more significant way (cut off power to idle cores and boost the multiplier of the active cores).

Haha thanks for clearing that up, I guess i was reading some pretty old threads that made me believe that.
After checking lock threads to core it lets me enter fullscreen, but turbo boost still shuts down after 1 minute. Real temp gives me thermal status ok and says im a good 30°C from max temperature.
No idea then, ask your microprocessor what's wrong, if it doesn't answer then overclock it instead of using turbo boost (unless you're using a laptop, if you are using a laptop you're screwed). It could also be that the load isn't high enough for turbo boost to kick in (what are your system specs?).