Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: I solved all my random crashes!!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After 3 days of experimentation I figured out that it wasn't Dolphin, its settings or my hardware. What else is left? The OS of course!

I always auto update MS to be "secure" but I thought, do I even know what I am installing? So I reinstalled my OS (more on this later) and reinstalled all my programs, updates, etc EXCEPT for Windows 7 updates (I did not install a single one)

Dolphin works like a champ! So I urge those of you with random Dolphin crashes and a little time to kill, to reinstall your OS (I use Windows 7 SP1) and enjoy the goodness. I suppose I could install the updates one at a time to see which is the culprit, but honestly...I am not going to because that would take a good chunk of time.

A quick note, I did have 32-bit Win 7 and formatted and installed 64-bit Win 7. Doubt that little change would make a difference but I thought it is worth mentioning.

I will make a note in the big "crash" thread, but I thought for visibility's sake (and the fact that this seems to be a somewhat common issue) I would make it a post of its own.

Dolphin 3.0

SwissCM

I also use absurdly over-the-top solutions to relatively easy to fix problems. Bonus points for recommending users not install updates, gotta keep leaving gaping security holes open so I can probably play some Dolphin without it crashing maybe!
(10-13-2011, 04:44 AM)SwissCM Wrote: [ -> ]I also use absurdly over-the-top solutions to relatively easy to fix problems. Bonus points for recommending users not install updates, gotta keep leaving gaping security holes open so I can probably play some Dolphin without it crashing maybe!

LOL. You're silly...and a bit of an extremist.

That is an interesting point. Since most people go their entire lives and never have their computers hacked, my solution is not some giant abyss of security sorrow. Additionally, since when is reinstalling an operating system absurdly over-the-top? At some point we all have to do it (or buy a new pre-installed PC).

Either way, I was just sharing my story and if the solution does not suit your situation, then bypass it. I never understood the purpose of posting comments like the one above. Perhaps you just like to boost your post count artificially...?

Oops, there I go being negative. Doesn't seem productive does it?

Anyways, for those of you who could not play any games without crashing (which was my issue...and I literally mean ALL my games crashed), then this may be worth a shot. I leave the security risks, etc to your Google-Fu
I'd like to warn the forum users that you should not start reformatting and reinstalling Windows based solely on one persons opinion. Do so at your own risk.

SwissCM

(10-13-2011, 05:01 AM)haddockd Wrote: [ -> ]That is an interesting point. Since most people go their entire lives and never have their computers hacked

Please don't post any more advice ta.
Welllllll...I also wouldn't advice reinstalling windows and not installing updates, but we should at least listen to what he's saying here. Even though I'd rather doubt that the random crashes have something to do with Windows, it's interesting that he seems to have had this effect. Well, I guess if he really isn't having the random crashes from before then maybe he has had OTHER random crashes which might have had something to do with Windows, we can't tell. Anyway, I'll be interested to see if this continues or if the crashes do return after a few more hours of playing, they're random after all Wink
(10-13-2011, 04:35 AM)haddockd Wrote: [ -> ]A quick note, I did have 32-bit Win 7 and formatted and installed 64-bit Win 7. Doubt that little change would make a difference but I thought it is worth mentioning.

Actually, switching from 32bit Windows to 64bit is quite a big change. I don't want to get started about not installing security (and stability) updates and your hypothesis that those updates only secure your computer from "being hacked".
It's nice that you want to share your solution with other Dolphin-Users but this is just dangerous. While reinstalling Windows might indeed fix problems for some people, not installing updates on the other hand will most likely lead to infection with malware and all the problems connected with that.

@admins/mods: How about a big, fat, red warning above his post?
How about just closing it. Most updates are security related and should for no reason be skipped.