Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Cannot open Common.lib
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Heya, all, I'm compiling using Visual Studio Ultimate 2010 and I seem to be running into a strange issue:

Code:
24>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'D:\Emulators\dolphin-emu\Source\x64\Release\Common.lib'

(note that this happens numerous times throughout the compiling)

I'm sure I'm doing something quite wrong, but I'm still quite new to messing with code and compilers. What would be causing this? It's the only issue that seems to be causing the builds to fail, and I'm compiling just as I have for the last few months. I've tried building, rebuilding, and have the same results on the debug and 32-bit builds as well.

I'm not sure exactly when it was that this started happening, but it was around the time of the git conversion (which was, if you don't mind me saying, a great choice!). Of course, I hadn't been keeping up to date with builds over the last few weeks of SVN.

Any chance I could get some assistance with this? I'm sure it will prove to be something hilariously stupid and simple, but that does seem to often be the case...
You read ALL of this \/\/ since the change to GIT?

http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/wiki/Windows_Build
Try a full solution rebuild.
(10-05-2011, 03:12 AM)neobrain Wrote: [ -> ]Try a full solution rebuild.

I have, numerous times. I've even attempted to download the git clone entirely fresh and tried different branches. Nothing but the same message. When I navigate to the Binary folder where the compiled stuff goes to after an attempted build/rebuild, only the Languages sub-directory exists.
find the error of building the common lib, being unable to open the lib indicates that it fails to compile (the common lib).

did you set git to be part of your path (can you open cmd and run git from any folder?)
(10-05-2011, 06:28 AM)LPFaint99 Wrote: [ -> ]find the error of building the common lib, being unable to open the lib indicates that it fails to compile (the common lib).

did you set git to be part of your path (can you open cmd and run git from any folder?)

Yeah, it seems like something in there broke, but it's not giving me much information. I've managed to screw odd stuff up with other compilers by somehow managing to accidentally alter lib files.

I am getting a few git-related errors at compile time, but I didn't think much of them. I have TortoiseGit running correctly and Git is installed and in use. Not sure what's up with Git + VS though.
tortisegit will work whether or not git is in the path
(10-05-2011, 06:28 AM)LPFaint99 Wrote: [ -> ](can you open cmd and run git from any folder?)
when installing msysgit which of the three options did you choose? pic here ->http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread...#pid168256
if you chose "use git bash only" rerun the msysgit installer and choose the middle option(Run Git from the Windows Command prompt)

once that is done try compiling again

Okay, guess I didn't quite get it. I was stupid when I put in the environment variables and accidentally pointed to the Git executable with the wrong drive. Directory was right, but the drive wasn't. So, I've got one more build succeeding, but five are still failing. Here's the output:

Code:
1>------ Build started: Project: SCMRevGen, Configuration: Release x64 ------
1>Build started 10/28/2011 5:26:38 PM.
1>InitializeBuildStatus:
1>  Creating "x64\Release\SCMRevGen.unsuccessfulbuild" because "AlwaysCreate" was specified.
1>CustomBuild:
1>  Updating scmrev.h
1>  ./Src/scmrev.h current at 3.0-191-dirty
1>FinalizeBuildStatus:
1>  Deleting file "x64\Release\SCMRevGen.unsuccessfulbuild".
1>  Touching "x64\Release\SCMRevGen.lastbuildstate".
1>
1>Build succeeded.
1>
1>Time Elapsed 00:00:00.24
2>------ Build started: Project: Common, Configuration: Release x64 ------
2>Build started 10/28/2011 5:26:38 PM.
2>InitializeBuildStatus:
2>  Touching "x64\Release\Common.unsuccessfulbuild".
2>ClCompile:
2>  All outputs are up-to-date.
2>  Version.cpp
2>Src\Version.cpp(30): error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'SCM_BRANCH_STR'
2>Src\Version.cpp(30): error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before 'string'
2>Src\Version.cpp(30): error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int
2>Src\Version.cpp(46): error C2065: 'SCM_DESC_STR' : undeclared identifier
2>Src\Version.cpp(46): error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before 'string'
2>Src\Version.cpp(46): error C2059: syntax error : 'string'
2>
2>Build FAILED.
2>
2>Time Elapsed 00:00:00.15
3>------ Build started: Project: AudioCommon, Configuration: Release x64 ------
4>------ Build started: Project: VideoCommon, Configuration: Release x64 ------
3>Build started 10/28/2011 5:26:38 PM.
3>InitializeBuildStatus:
3>  Touching "x64\Release\AudioCommon.unsuccessfulbuild".
4>Build started 10/28/2011 5:26:38 PM.
3>ClCompile:
3>  All outputs are up-to-date.
3>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'D:\Emulators\dolphin-emu\Source\x64\Release\Common.lib'
3>
3>Build FAILED.
3>
3>Time Elapsed 00:00:00.06
4>InitializeBuildStatus:
4>  Touching "x64\Release\VideoCommon.unsuccessfulbuild".
4>ClCompile:
4>  All outputs are up-to-date.
4>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'D:\Emulators\dolphin-emu\Source\x64\Release\Common.lib'
4>
4>Build FAILED.
4>
4>Time Elapsed 00:00:00.14
5>------ Build started: Project: DSPTool, Configuration: Release x64 ------
6>------ Build started: Project: Dolphin, Configuration: Release x64 ------
5>Build started 10/28/2011 5:26:38 PM.
6>Build started 10/28/2011 5:26:38 PM.
5>InitializeBuildStatus:
5>  Touching "x64\Release\DSPTool.unsuccessfulbuild".
5>ClCompile:
5>  All outputs are up-to-date.
6>InitializeBuildStatus:
6>  Touching "x64\Release\Dolphin.unsuccessfulbuild".
5>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'D:\Emulators\dolphin-emu\Source\x64\Release\Common.lib'
6>ClCompile:
6>  All outputs are up-to-date.
5>
5>Build FAILED.
5>
5>Time Elapsed 00:00:00.18
6>ResourceCompile:
6>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'D:\Emulators\dolphin-emu\Source\x64\Release\Common.lib'
6>
6>Build FAILED.
6>
6>Time Elapsed 00:00:00.39
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 5 failed, 18 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Any ideas?

By the way, git is able to run from command prompt in any directory. Here is my full system variables path:

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\;D:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin;D:\Program Files\TortoiseGit\bin;D:\Program Files (x86)\Git\bin
Whoo, finally got it to compile! Long story short, I'm a dumbass. I must have broken something in Version.cpp and it never got fixed when I downloaded stuff over with git.

Either way, I went to the Google source page, tracked down the Version.cpp there, copy/pasted it and suddenly it works! I'm not sure why clearing the entire directory and forcing git to pull everything fresh and new didn't fix it, but eh.

========== Build: 6 succeeded, 0 failed, 18 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

That's what I've been wanting to see!