Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Mac Speed JIT/Interpreter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Dolphin Version 3.0-139

Mac OS X 10.7.1
2.93 Ghz Intel Core i7
12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB

I just downloaded dolphin, initially found games would just crash. A Few people have noted that this is caused by JIT not working and you can use interpreter mode.

Interpreter mode runs so slow though! It's like 1 or 2 fps - so totally unusable for me (have tried with Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Mario Karts, even just loading the system menu is unbelievably slow).

So....
  • Are the mac versions of dolphin actually usable at the mo - what's the deal with JIT, can I actually get this working?
  • There seems to be minimal tips re setting config for best performance for mac - what settings should I use?

Is it worth trying to get this working on mac - or shall I just give up and run it in bootcamp (not really the most convenient; I assume a VM is definitely a no go)

Hello 50 fps...

I downloaded the build from the project site here: http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/downloads/list which is now working better.

Still crashing reasonably frequently (super mario bros still not loading past info menu), but progress...
Good times.
Now games crash (it seems) whenever they attempt to save or load. So the initial setup of a new mario karts file...
Any ideas?
(10-05-2011, 12:13 AM)dalek Wrote: [ -> ]Now games crash (it seems) whenever they attempt to save or load. So the initial setup of a new mario karts file...
Any ideas?

Do you have any speed hacks turned on? (Graphics->Hacks). I found that those were pretty unstable in OpenGL. Also you could try if the "Insert SD-Card"-setting in Config->Wii does anything about your save problem.
..."Insert SD-Card" doesnt affect saving games save to the (emulated) nand filesystem

OP without a mac i can't really provide to much info, does dolphin also crash if you rightclick mariokart in the gamelist and choose openwiisave folder? (maybe crashing when trying to create the folder/file and hitting a permissions issue)
(10-05-2011, 04:09 AM)LPFaint99 Wrote: [ -> ]..."Insert SD-Card" doesnt affect saving games save to the (emulated) nand filesystem

Sorry, didn't know that, I thought those two things were maybe connected by some strange code-magic^^
Thanks - I'll check out that link tonight see if it's related.
I have tried various settings including turning off the dual core and idle skipping options - but to no change yet.

If I try to open the Wii Save Data folder I receive an error 'Failed to open URL... in default brewer. (error 22: Invalid argument)' so there seems to be something wrong, maybe permissions or something as suggested by LPFaint, I'll look into it tonight.

Here is an example of some of the error code when app crashes:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x000000000000000d, 0x0000000000000000

VM Regions Near 0:
-->
__TEXT 0000000000001000-0000000000801000 [ 8192K] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/Dolphin.app/Contents/MacOS/Dolphin
you could try relocating the nand path to something else, i think the default on mac is within the app bundle? but i'm not sure.
If you go into the path config set wii nand root to some new folder in your home dir, maybe it will be able to create saves there
(10-05-2011, 01:05 PM)LPFaint99 Wrote: [ -> ]you could try relocating the nand path to something else, i think the default on mac is within the app bundle? but i'm not sure.
If you go into the path config set wii nand root to some new folder in your home dir, maybe it will be able to create saves there

Hey, thanks - I tried changing the path and received an error that the data is corrupted and cannot be used (the default path on mac is set to: /Users/*username*/Library/Application Support/Dolphin/Wii).

Then I tried copying the files from the old location to the new, and it crashed as it had before.

What's the story with the NAND files? Theres no real instructions saying that I have to dump this from my Wii - but some hints that you should for some reason. I'm not really sure what the deal is with that?
So I setup win7 in bootcamp and alas it worked right away.
One game seems to freeze but seems unrelated and mario karts is working fine.

Would still like to get it working for the mac though (bootcamp is annoying and I only have 32bit win7).

Curious of other mac users success/failures to get Dolphin running on Lion.
Pages: 1 2