Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Use intel turbo boost for dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I got an i5 which basically goes from 3,1 to 3,4GHZ (turboboost). Is there a way to make it run constantly @3,4GHZ for Dolphin? This guy here is doing something but I don't know what it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxSoNfQRapM
No. Your CPU should Turbo-boost a bit, but not to 3.4Ghz because that's only for 1 core. The guy in the video is forcing Dolphin to only use cores 2 and 3 of his CPU. However, Turbo-boost is smart enough to do that itself so it doesn't make much of a difference.
Oh, that's a pity. Sad
I wonder Idea if your processor is 2.3ghz and turbo boosts to 2.9ghz and you decide to overclock to 2.6ghz, will it turbo boost to a higher clock rate or just destroy the processor Exclamation
Depends how you overclock. You CAN do both, or one, or neither.

Altmaster

(10-01-2011, 02:17 AM)Blaze X Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder Idea if your processor is 2.3ghz and turbo boosts to 2.9ghz and you decide to overclock to 2.6ghz, will it turbo boost to a higher clock rate or just destroy the processor Exclamation
Turbo Boost will maintain the same target. It will certainly not destroy the processor under any circumstances.
Well, the whole point was maybe if turbo boost could reach a higher value but if it maintains on the same target then no need for overclocking and i seriously doubt you could overclock to a higher value than the turbo boost

Altmaster

(10-01-2011, 05:07 PM)Blaze X Wrote: [ -> ]Well, the whole point was maybe if turbo boost could reach a higher value but if it maintains on the same target then no need for overclocking and i seriously doubt you could overclock to a higher value than the turbo boost
It's not quite that simple. Turbo Boost is only applicable to poorly-threaded applications. Admittedly that's most games in existence and, in this context, Dolphin as well. If you were looking for performance gain in other applications such as media encoding, manual overclocking would be far superior (to say nothing of the fact that Turbo Boost can be somewhat conservative).

I haven't really played much with motherboards that allow you to adjust the Turbo Boost parameters, but as far as the default behaviour goes, I'm afraid your serious doubt is quite misplaced. With the current generation of Intel CPUs you can exceed the default Turbo Boost target values by laughable amounts. My i7 2600k Turbo Boosts to 3.8ghz (from 3.4 stock). I've disabled TB and manually overclocked it to 4.0ghz for the sake of it really. I could easily exceed 4.5ghz if I wanted.