Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Need a check for my new specs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I want to be able to know how well my new computer will play games with Dolphin.

Currently I only need one more part for my new computer: The motherboard. Everything else is already at my house.

So, my specs on the computer I am currently using:

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 3650 HD
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
RAM: 8.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2

My NEW computer's specs are:

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 5850
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 2133

Obviously I know that the newer specs will pretty much be 2 to 3 times better than my current specs, but I would like to know if anyone has similar parts (It does not have to be exactly like mine, it could either be the same graphics card, CPU, RAM, or a combination of either) and could tell me how well Dolphin plays games.

As it stands right now with my current specs, in Super Mario Sunshine I have 15 FPS in the main hub world, and don't get me started on Twilight Princess's Hyrule Field...

That's why I got a new computer. (That, and many new games that are coming out need better parts than what I currently have...)
It should run anything dolphin throws at it and laugh, especially if you overclock the cpu (which I'm assuming you will since it's a 2500k). Every cpu above the i5 2500k will achieve the exact same performance as the i5 2500k per clock in dolphin. In other words you've gone as high as you possibly can with current hardware as far as dolphin is concerned. Dolphin's performance is primarily determined by the single/dual threaded throughput of the cpu so long as you have a decent gpu.

Your 5850 should be able to handle up to 4x IR without SSAA and up to 2x IR with 9xSSAA in most games (I don't know if you care about using AA or what resolution you plan to run your games at).
Alright, thanks! Can't wait to try out Dolphin when the motherboard gets here!
Overclock that 2500k and you won't have a single speed-related problem with Dolphin ; )
(09-28-2011, 03:35 PM)CodeBrain Wrote: [ -> ]My NEW computer's specs are:

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 5850
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 2133

Please, dont commit the unspeakable act of not overclock this great overclockable CPU. Cool