Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Frame Skipping on mac?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
When I try to enable frameskipping on mac, the video automatically stops even though the emulator still runs in the background, and then when I disable framskipping the emulator picks up again like nothing happend. This is what happens for all frameskipping (1-9) and it doesn't work.

With my games I hover around a 35-60 fps without frameskipping and the game slows down accordingly so it would be great to get that constant speed without having the game slow down by sacrificing some fps.

Anyone get this to work?
Didn't see the rule. I would have given my pc specs if I thought it was relevant to the problem, which I don't think it is. Other mac users in the forum have had this problem and I was not looking for specific support, just to see if there was an update to the problem or if anyone was able to fix it with some hacks or something.

If you must need my specs, here they are:

13" MacBook Pro (March 2011)
Display: 1280x800
CPU: Intel Core i5 2.3 GHz w/ 2.9 GHz Turbo Boost
Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
Software: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.1

Dolphin version 3.0 (most stable for me, already tried r7723, same problem) with 2x internal resolution (no other hacks).

The games I play are SSX3, Burnout revenge, SSBM, timesplitters 2.
I've tried playing NBA street 3 and LOTR but those games don't work with dolphin yet

I generally get 60fps in menus and loading and even some gameplay but in the more graphically intense sequences of games my fps can drop to 35-45. If I were able to frameskip and go 30 fps at 100% speed, that would be amazing but unfortunately it's not working for me.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Oh and thanks I guess for not closing my thread.
(09-27-2011, 03:44 AM)flurgle Wrote: [ -> ]When I try to enable frameskipping on mac, the video automatically stops even though the emulator still runs in the background, and then when I disable framskipping the emulator picks up again like nothing happend. This is what happens for all frameskipping (1-9) and it doesn't work.

With my games I hover around a 35-60 fps without frameskipping and the game slows down accordingly so it would be great to get that constant speed without having the game slow down by sacrificing some fps.

Anyone get this to work?

I'm not sure if I understand you, but from what you wrote it appears to me as if you would only enable frame-skipping while the emulation is running, is that correct? Why don't you do it before you start the game, then? Also I don't really understand what you mean by frame-skipping 1 through 9, are you sure you are using Dolphin 3.0? Or is this a mac-only feature?
My Dolphin only has an Idle Skipping-setting, which I can't change while the emulator is running.

mfg
dEnigma
I've tried enabling it before I start the game, and I have the same problem.
This sounds like a mac-only feature, let me explain it a little more clearly.

There are two options.

Under the "emulation" menu, there is a "frame skipping" feature that at default is set to 0. When you set that to 1, I believe that it will skip 1 frame for every 2 frames that is processed, therefore cutting the frames in half. This is what I have trouble with.

Under the configuration settings, there is a framelimit drop-down menu that at default is set to "off"; other options are "auto" and increments of 5 from 10fps to 120fps. There is also a check box that says "limit to fps"

For instance, if I set my framelimit to 30fps, then this is the speed at which my game will play. When I choose this, my game speed is therefore cut in half, playing at 50%. What I want to do is set my frame skipping to 1, doubling the speed and therefore playing at full speed with my fps at 30.

Is there something I'm missing or is this feature just not supported yet?

thanks

(09-28-2011, 05:48 AM)flurgle Wrote: [ -> ]I've tried enabling it before I start the game, and I have the same problem.

There are two options.

Under the "emulation" menu, there is a "frame skipping" feature that at default is set to 0. When you set that to 1, I believe that it will skip 1 frame for every 2 frames that is processed, therefore cutting the frames in half. This is what I have trouble with.

Under the configuration settings, there is a framelimit drop-down menu that at default is set to "off"; other options are "auto" and increments of 5 from 10fps to 120fps. There is also a check box that says "limit to fps"

For instance, if I set my framelimit to 30fps, then this is the speed at which my game will play. When I choose this, my game speed is therefore cut in half, playing at 50%. What I want to do is set my frame skipping to 1, doubling the speed and therefore playing at full speed with my fps at 30.

thanks

Ah, stupid me, I was so focused on the "Idle Skipping"-Option that I totally overlooked that my Dolphin-Version also has this frame-skipping feature. Works fine with my computer, Direct3D9 and OpenGL, so I guess it's either a bug in the mac-version or has something to do with your configuration. You could post your config, so I can try it on my PC and see if it works with frame skipping.
Also frameskipping seems to slow down emulation a lot, at least on my computer, so I don't know if you would get the results you wanted, then again my computer is a piece of crap^^

(09-28-2011, 05:48 AM)flurgle Wrote: [ -> ]I've tried enabling it before I start the game, and I have the same problem.

There are two options.

thanks

Well it's supported but not sure it solves your problem of fps.
Btw NBA Street 3 works
So... what I'm getting from this is wait for the next release?

Do you know where the latest revisions are FOR MAC (since they aren't hosted on the dolphin website anymore)?

And NBA street crashes the emulator after the title page when I try and play it ("dolphin quit unexpectedly").
(09-29-2011, 12:17 AM)flurgle Wrote: [ -> ]So... what I'm getting from this is wait for the next release?

Do you know where the latest revisions are FOR MAC (since they aren't hosted on the dolphin website anymore)?

And NBA street crashes the emulator after the title page when I try and play it ("dolphin quit unexpectedly").

For last revisions try this site : emucr.com
For NBA Street 3 check MMU in Game Properties
Thanks for all the help, but I don't think the mac version has the MMU option.

Also, I haven't been able to find mac dmg files on emucr, just the windows versions.
Pages: 1 2