Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Getting the most out of my system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was testing out Dolphin and NSMB, and I am trying to get the best configuration for my laptop. I know a little bit on how computers go, but I am not too knowledgeable. I tried multiple configurations, but they all seem to run a little bit slow.

Screen Res: 15.6" 1080p (however, trying to run the game on a second monitor which is 28" with a resolution of 1920x1200)
Processor: i7-2820qm (2.3 gHz, hitting about 3 gHz though with intel turbo boost)
RAM: 8GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 560m
Hard Drive: 750 GB, 5400 RPM

My FPS and VPS usually stays around 60, but my Speed hits around 90-100 in most places and about 80% in some places.

The Dolphin settings I am using are:
Backend: Direct3D 11
Display: 1080p resolution
Enhancements > Internal Resolution> 2.5x Native (1600x1320)
Hacks> Other> OpenMP Texture Decoder
The rest are on default, or however the settings were when I downloaded Dolphin.

I'm trying to hit smooth gameplay and decent graphics, but I can't seem to get a good combination of the two.

Thanks!
I'm not sure, but for my computer (in sig), Direct3D9 backend is a lot faster compared to 11. Try changing the backend?
I was using the wrong version of dolphin. I downgraded, but now my problem is I can't maintain a full 100% even at lower end settings. Any ideas?
You didn't mention what dolphin version you actually used.
Oh, I was using the newest version, but I downgraded to 3.0.
Sorry about that.

Settings I have been testing on:
Backend: Direct3D9
Res: 1920x1080
Enhancements> Internal Res: 3x Native
Enhancements> Scaled EFB Copy = Checked
Hacks> Skip EPB Access from CPU = Checked
Hacks> Ignore Format Changes = Checked
Hacks> EFB Copies = RAM
Hacks> External Frame Buffer = Disabled
Hacks> Other> Fast Mpmaps, Disable Per-Pixel Depth, Cache Display Lists, OpenMP Texture Decoder = Checked
Reduce Internal Res to 2x or even 1x; If you don't mind it that the coins don't spin, change EFB copies to "to texture" (might need to open the gfx config during emulation and close it again to actually enable it); Try disabling Display List Caching.
Just had to change EFB copies "to texture" to hit 100% performance with native res 3x. Thanks!