Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can my system handle 1080p?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

frechley

Hi Everyone,

I recently downloaded Dolphin and am hoping to play my games in 1080p. However, I am getting pretty laggy performance with New Super Mario Bros. I am hoping someone can tell me if my CPU/GPU are decent enough to handle 1080p with some sort of AA and AF enabled.

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (default clock speed)
GPU: 9800 GTX+
Ram: 4GB DDR2 800

I have read some posts on here that make me think I would need to upgrade to get the performance I am looking for. Ideally, I would love to play my games in 1080p with max AA/AF. However, 720p with max AA/AF would be great as well.

Any advice about my specs or where to go to figure out how to set dolphin 3.0 up properly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Your CPU is bottleneck and GPU only handle 720p, AA4x, AF16x,Internal Res 2x or 1080p without AA

(09-19-2011, 03:14 PM)frechley Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Everyone,

I recently downloaded Dolphin and am hoping to play my games in 1080p. However, I am getting pretty laggy performance with New Super Mario Bros. I am hoping someone can tell me if my CPU/GPU are decent enough to handle 1080p with some sort of AA and AF enabled.

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (default clock speed)
GPU: 9800 GTX+
Ram: 4GB DDR2 800

I have read some posts on here that make me think I would need to upgrade to get the performance I am looking for. Ideally, I would love to play my games in 1080p with max AA/AF. However, 720p with max AA/AF would be great as well.

Any advice about my specs or where to go to figure out how to set dolphin 3.0 up properly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I seriously hope you're kidding. Basically no graphics cards can do that. On a 9800? Sorry. I would recommend overclocking first, that should eliminate the CPU bottleneck as NSMB Wii is an easy game.
(09-20-2011, 07:42 AM)HawaiianPunch Wrote: [ -> ]I seriously hope you're kidding. Basically no graphics cards can do that.

Say that to my GTX 580.
Quote:Your CPU is bottleneck and GPU only handle 720p, AA4x, AF16x,Internal Res 2x or 1080p without AA

I disagree. A 9800 GTX+ is enough to handle a 4.0MP IR in any game. It can easily handle a 3x IR with no SSAA or 1.5x IR with 4xSSAA. Some games will be able to handle 4x IR with no SSAA or 2x IR + 4xSSAA (such as NSMB). And of course output resolution does not affect GPU load, only IR, SSAA, and pixel lighting significantly affect it.

Quote:Say that to my GTX 580.

I have a challenge for you. Try running around the outside area of the forsaken fortress in WW at 4x IR + 9xSSAA. I bet that will bring even the mighty GTX 580 to its knees.

@frechley

NSMB will run slow regardless of your video card. Your cpu is too weak regardless of your resolution/AA/AF. You must upgrade your cpu/motherboard/memory first.

raxious

I'm gonna ask the same question more or less, seeing as I thought a new topic would be pointless ^_^'

I'm running Dolphin on my laptop @ the moment:

i5-450M
4GB DDR3
ATI HD5870m 1GB

Im running most games pretty stable, New Super Mario Bros, Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and 3 and more. Now I was wondering if you guys think it would be possible to play atleast on 720p, and perhaps 1080p.
I dont think so ... not in good conditions , no.

Why dont you just try anyways ?
(09-20-2011, 11:18 PM)raxious Wrote: [ -> ]I'm gonna ask the same question more or less, seeing as I thought a new topic would be pointless ^_^'

I'm running Dolphin on my laptop @ the moment:

i5-450M
4GB DDR3
ATI HD5870m 1GB

Im running most games pretty stable, New Super Mario Bros, Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and 3 and more. Now I was wondering if you guys think it would be possible to play atleast on 720p, and perhaps 1080p.

Of course you can! Why haven't you tried yet? It's not like you can break something...
Try bumping up AA too.

edit: Oops I overestimated the 5870M. Still 720p should be doable.
(09-20-2011, 01:57 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Your CPU is bottleneck and GPU only handle 720p, AA4x, AF16x,Internal Res 2x or 1080p without AA

I disagree. A 9800 GTX+ is enough to handle a 4.0MP IR in any game. It can easily handle a 3x IR with no SSAA or 1.5x IR with 4xSSAA. Some games will be able to handle 4x IR with no SSAA or 2x IR + 4xSSAA (such as NSMB). And of course output resolution does not affect GPU load, only IR, SSAA, and pixel lighting significantly affect it.

Quote:Say that to my GTX 580.

I have a challenge for you. Try running around the outside area of the forsaken fortress in WW at 4x IR + 9xSSAA. I bet that will bring even the mighty GTX 580 to its knees.

@frechley

NSMB will run slow regardless of your video card. Your cpu is too weak regardless of your resolution/AA/AF. You must upgrade your cpu/motherboard/memory first.

Okie-dokie!
@youhavrrod
I also like to know how your GPU will do on Xenoblade (if you have the game), Satorl Marsh at night with max res AA and AF...

Just curious, since 2600K@4.5GHz and 6970 can't handle that place, just remember to do it at night time.
Pages: 1 2