Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Worth buying a GeForce GTX 570?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Reinsol

I've been thinking of buying a new Graphics card; I found that my GTS450 has served me well over the past little while, but some of the newer games are not playing on the highest settings for me, and I find emulators such as the Dolphin are taxed, even with my (so far stable) overclock.

My biggest question would be, is it worth it? My XPS was purchased near the begging of 2008; now three years old I'm concerned that pumping more cash into the GPU isn't going to help if my CPU speeds aren't up to snuff.

So the big question, do I spend around $350.00 on the GTX 570; or save the cash and throw about $2000 on new computer?

Thoughts? Big Grin
(09-19-2011, 02:43 PM)Reinsol Wrote: [ -> ]I've been thinking of buying a new Graphics card; I found that my GTS450 has served me well over the past little while, but some of the newer games are not playing on the highest settings for me, and I find emulators such as the Dolphin are taxed, even with my (so far stable) overclock.

My biggest question would be, is it worth it? My XPS was purchased near the begging of 2008; now three years old I'm concerned that pumping more cash into the GPU isn't going to help if my CPU speeds aren't up to snuff.

So the big question, do I spend around $350.00 on the GTX 570; or save the cash and throw about $2000 on new computer?

Thoughts? Big Grin

Save the money on a new computer(2000 is a bit overkill though).
You're going to need a good video card no matter what PC you have, just buy it and use it with your next PC as well.
(09-20-2011, 08:06 AM)[SS] Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]You're going to need a good video card no matter what PC you have, just buy it and use it with your next PC as well.

Or that too.Just make sure your PSU is up to snuff.Pre-built PCs(Especially Dell/HP ones)generally have PSUs that only have enough power for the current build and that don't allow for future updates.

daibobaboii

^ yup had to learn that the hard way =[ maxed out at gts 250
It'd recommend you to buy a new rig completely. You could upgrade parts, but say you get the 570GTX, you're going to bottleneck it with that setup, you're going to need more CPU power.

You don't need to spend $2000 on a PC. I bought mine for only €600-ish euro's, and it does its job.

If you plan to play alot of emulated games (Dolphin etc) you're going to need a fast CPU.
The best right now is the 2500k (yes... i know, but its true).
For the GPU, that's up to you, I'd get a 560Ti GTX instead of a 570GTX. The 570 is only a little bit faster, go for it if you want, but you'll save some $$$ if you go for the 560Ti.
yo , OP , you'll be fine if you get a new cooler (noctua,scythe ...) to OC 3.6 will be fine ,and a Gtx 560 Ti (250$)!
That way , you wont have to change your whole setup , and when the time comes you can buy a new Mobo+Ram+CPU and use the Cooler and The Gtx ! At this point you ll also certainly have to change your PSU !

Cheers!
What he said ^^ Idea