Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Help me choose a DELL laptop for Dolphin please :-)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,
have a choice of the following for Dolphin. Was running my setup on an i7 2.9mhz iMac with Bootcamp and almost everything bar SMG ran perfectly. Having sold my iMac and needing to replace my Mac I can get the following models for some bargain prices and wondered which is best, purely from a Dolphin point of view (that said wouldn't mind playing one or two titles like Assassin's Creed BC etc...if poss!):

DELL#1
Latitude E6520
Wireless Card : Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 (802.11 a/b/g/n) Half Mini Card
Display : 15.6in UltraSharp FHD(1920x1080) Wide View LED-backlit with Premium Panel Guarantee
Integrated Webcam
Graphics: 512MB NVIDIA NVS 4200M Discrete Graphics
Processor: Intel Core i5-2520M processor 2.50 GHz
4 GB (2x2GB)1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Memory
English Windows 7 Home Premium (32 BIT/64 BIT) COA
250 GB (7200rpm) WD Black SATA Hard Drive
Primary 6-cell 60W/HR LI-ION Battery
Wireless: Dell 375 Bluetooth Card
8X DVD+/- RW Drive

DELL #2
Inspiron N5110
Display: 15.6in High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife
Optical Drive
6 Cell Primary Battery, 48W
Processor : i7-2630QM 2.9GHz Quad Core (this is boosted speed I believe)
Wireless: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 (1x2 b/g/n+ Bluetooth Combo Card)
640GB Hard Drive
8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHZ (2 DIMMs)
Black
Graphics : 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M Graphics card
Power Supply: 130W AC Adapter
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)

DELL #3
Vostro 3450
Processor : One Intel Core i7-2620M (2.70GHz, 4MB cache, Dual Core - boosts to 3.4ghz)
8 DVD+/-RW DRIVE
Wireless: Dell Wireless 1702 (802.11b/g/n) + Bluetooth v3.0
LCD Back Cover : Silver WLAN
English Windows 7 Professional (32 BIT/64 BIT) COA
6 Cell Primary Battery, 48W
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1 GB Graphics
6 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHZ (2 DIMMs)
Display: 14.0in High Definition LED Display (1366X768) with anti-glare
500 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)

I was assuming it would be #3? But if someone could confirm/deny would be most helpful - thanks! These are the ones I can get for cheap - so it will be ones of these or nothing Smile

#3 has the best CPU (500mhz better turbo) and video card "hardware". It's got 2GB less ram though and only a 14in screen (meh). Also ATI drivers are....not your friend.

Even though #3 would be the best overall for anything I don't know about that small screen. I'd personally go for #2 if #3 was $400-500 more expensive.
Do you have an nvidia/ati preference?

I definitely wouldn't choose the first since the GPU is a quadro. The other two are very closely matched. The HDD/RAM are slightly better on option #2. The GPUs are basically identical in performance. The CPU in #3 has a 15% higher clock rate but it is dual core while the cpu in #2 is quad core. The two laptops will have nearly identical performance in PC games and dolphin.
Thanks guys, I can get them all for exactly the same price so it'kk be 2 or 3. On a sidenote I play a lot of HD-MKV's, I assume the quad-core would better when it comes to this?
Cheers again.
#2 it's better overall.
What is your budget?

You could just get a desktop that'll kick the ass of all 3 of these laptops.(Unless you REALLY need the portability)
(09-19-2011, 10:22 PM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-...933.0.html

thats a mobile cpu Wink

And its price is more than most people's entire budget. A CPU like mine is ok for most laptop users, I doubt anybody would be willing to overclock a $1000 CPU on a laptop.
Yeah, it's the portability I need. I went with the third option for £450 - seemed like a good deal Smile
Apparently it took no budget to get the profanity out of you, YouHaveRROD, but that is a completely different issue than what is addressed in this topic. As for the topic, looking at the specifications, the second laptop listed would probably be most benefitial. RAM (Random Access Memory) and processing power can take you further in terms of gaming and playing high-definition videos. A larger screen is also helpful, but that is not important in the "big picture" as RAM and processing power. Since it has a 720p (seven hundred twenty-p) note rather than a 1,080p (one thousand eighty-p) note, I am going to guess that the resolution is not 1,920 pixels by 1,080 pixels. The dedicated num pad (not uncommon with laptops with 15.6" screens) is a good thing. The fact that the right Shift key is not reduced in size. This is excellent. It seems that the resolution is the same as the third one (1,366 pixels by 768 pixels). If you have not already purchased a laptop (or even if you have and like to test technology like my father and me) then I recommend the second device listed. Do note that there is the potential for the optical drive to not work either at all or properly.
Pages: 1 2