Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: dolphin 3.0 very slow performance with full screen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello, everybody!
I was hoping that someone could help me with a very disturbing issue. I use the 3.0 version of the dolphin emulator and the fact is that most of the games run perfectly, with 100% speed (in the window mode). Well, unfortunately, if I want to play a game in a full screen mode, the game speed hapens to fall up to 23% (in this case, super smash bros melee)! Not all the games are affected that much, but they all are in some percentage, and I assume you all know that if the speed is below 80%, it's already hard to have some fun playing it.
I figured it had to do something with the graphic configuration, so I tried changing and "unchanging" all options, but the problem wouldn't fix. So I downloaded the former version (2.0) and the problem was solved: I could switch to full screen mode and the speed performance would not change at all. However, I just don't feel comfortable using the older version because it has also its own issues (like the graphic and sound quality which seemed to have gotten worse).

I'm sorry for this long text, I tried to be as concise as possible.

It's probably because of the fullscreen resolution you set in the graphics setting. You might want to try to lower that resolution to get playable speed.
Fullscreen mode doesn't affect performance at all, nor does the output fullscreen resolution.

You probably have set the internal resolution to "auto", that will decrease performance more if the output resolution is high. Use a fixed internal resolution instead.
Well, sorry to inform you both, but I guess it doesn't have anything to do with resolution because I tried all of them. As the recommendation of the very emulator itself, I use the resolution of my monitor for full screen mode and a fixed resolution for the internal (getting this last one as low as possible doesn't fix this issue also). I'm clueless... Does any one have a similar problem?
What are your specs?
(09-16-2011, 09:09 AM)neobrain Wrote: [ -> ]Fullscreen mode doesn't affect performance at all, nor does the output fullscreen resolution.

You probably have set the internal resolution to "auto", that will decrease performance more if the output resolution is high. Use a fixed internal resolution instead.

Well i dont use 3.0 but switching from fullscreen to window mode has a change in performance cause i'm using 640x480 for the window & 1280x800 for fullscreen but when i changed the fullscreen to 640x480 i got a slight speedup Big Grin
Erm yeah, I still live in an ideal world where everyone who owns an Intel GPU knows that he shouldn't care about emulation speed... Tongue
(09-16-2011, 09:00 PM)neobrain Wrote: [ -> ]Erm yeah, I still live in an ideal world where everyone who owns an Intel GPU knows that he shouldn't care about emulation speed... Tongue

Okay, you win....Tongue
Quote:Well i dont use 3.0 but switching from fullscreen to window mode has a change in performance cause i'm using 640x480 for the window & 1280x800 for fullscreen but when i changed the fullscreen to 640x480 i got a slight speedup

That doesn't apply to me at all. I tried that already too.

Quote:What are your specs?

By that do you mean pc configuration?
Well, I have an intel core i3 cpu (3ghz) with 6gb ram, and a geforce 210 video card... I suspect my machine shouldn't take the blame... I just don't know why the former version (2.0) doesn't show up this same issue... I also don't see the logical on all this: streching up the screen wider (without changing internal resolution) can mess up so much with the game performance.... Sad
(09-16-2011, 11:43 PM)leozaum Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Well i dont use 3.0 but switching from fullscreen to window mode has a change in performance cause i'm using 640x480 for the window & 1280x800 for fullscreen but when i changed the fullscreen to 640x480 i got a slight speedup

That doesn't apply to me at all. I tried that already too.

Quote:What are your specs?

By that do you mean pc configuration?
Well, I have an intel core i3 cpu (3ghz) with 6gb ram, and a geforce 210 video card... I suspect my machine shouldn't take the blame... I just don't know why the former version (2.0) doesn't show up this same issue... I also don't see the logical on all this: streching up the screen wider (without changing internal resolution) can mess up so much with the game performance.... Sad

Your video card is terrible, video cards released 4-5 years ago can trash it performance wise. For example a 8800 GT (released at 2007) should be about four times faster than your video card. And a negligible drop in performance will happen when more pixels are drawn, it is just that in your case that everything matters it is pretty apparent.

Quote:I suspect my machine shouldn't take the blame...
Well, take a look at the page below and think again. Your video card ranks below than a Geforce 4 Ti released back in... 2002 for god sake.
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_...eForce+210
Pages: 1 2