Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Best Bang/Buck CPU for good emulation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm thinking of upgrading from my current dual core 2.8ghz cpu, and I'm wondering what the best upgrade would be for the price to be able to run dolphin at perfect or near perfect speeds. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
(09-12-2011, 02:50 AM)requiem3 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm thinking of upgrading from my current dual core 2.8ghz cpu, and I'm wondering what the best upgrade would be for the price to be able to run dolphin at perfect or near perfect speeds. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

What's your budget?
Also,note that a new CPU means a new motherboard.(If you're changing socket types)

What's your current rig?
Yeah I just realized that too lol. I've only tested my rig with mario galaxy 2, and it performed rather poorly. Do you think instead of upgrading I should just look into overclocking my current CPU?
Regarding my budget, I wouldn't wanna spend more than 200ish.

Here's my comp:
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard
GPU: HIS H487QT1GP Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support IceQ 4+ Turbo Video Card
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80571E7400
Power Supply: Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL-S 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Power Supply
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
DVD Burner:SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - OEM
Case: NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
(09-12-2011, 03:08 AM)requiem3 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah I just realized that too lol. I've only tested my rig with mario galaxy 2, and it performed rather poorly. Do you think instead of upgrading I should just look into overclocking my current CPU?

You just said that your CPU performed poorly? You can't overclock into excellent speeds. Overclocking is for a CPU that runs the game close to full speed and the overclock will put it over the edge into full speed.
(09-12-2011, 03:15 AM)[SS] Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-12-2011, 03:08 AM)requiem3 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah I just realized that too lol. I've only tested my rig with mario galaxy 2, and it performed rather poorly. Do you think instead of upgrading I should just look into overclocking my current CPU?

You just said that your CPU performed poorly? You can't overclock into excellent speeds. Overclocking is for a CPU that runs the game close to full speed and the overclock will put it over the edge into full speed.

Hmm "poorly" may be a little harsh, it plays very well on some parts and then I notice pretty big dips in performance in other parts. I'm gonna test it out with some other games, but in the meantime does anyone know if my current E7400 2 core 2.8GHz has a good reputation for emulation?
Regarding my budget, I wouldn't wanna spend more than 200ish.

Here's my comp:
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard
GPU: HIS H487QT1GP Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support IceQ 4+ Turbo Video Card
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80571E7400
Power Supply: Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL-S 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Power Supply
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
DVD Burner:SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - OEM
Case: NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

You're going to have to spend more than 200.
You'd need a new mobo(100-150),CPU(Depends on which one,but at least 150),RAM(You're gonna need DDR3) and a new PSU because i really don't trust that Rosewill one.
Yeah either save up at least $400 for mobo + cpu + ram (and change the psu later when you have the money, that will be another $60-100) or stick with what you have.
Thanks for all the advice guys, I guess I'll just stick to what I have for now. I OCed my cpu today and smg2 seems to be running perfectly. I tried xenoblades once but that didn't run too well, gonna mess around with that more tomorrow, maybe I shouldn't be trying to run it 1080p.
What overclock did you get to?

you had thoughts on the 1080p, what are your settings for Dolphin?
(09-12-2011, 04:43 PM)Trunk8 Wrote: [ -> ]What overclock did you get to?

you had thoughts on the 1080p, what are your settings for Dolphin?

I messed around with it and also installed the HLE audio fix thats found on these forums, and its running very smoothly at 1080p right now, with my cpu overclocked to about 3.4GHz Smile

I've had it crash once though, and it has this very strange texture glitch where one of the main character's torso is completely transparent/nonexistant. Strangely though that torso is only missing during cutscenes, any thoughts on why this may be occuring and how I could fix it?

EDIT: Switched to newest build of that fix, textures are back now, seems like a bit of stuttering exists but I need think I need to just mess around with settings when I have time.