Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: is overclocking an I5 2500k necessary? advice needed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi guys I've read that you should overlock an i5 2500k and am still unsure, the pc im looking at gettin it for has a

ATI Radeon 5750 HD
4gb RAm
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I'm not very knowledgeable about these things bit am concerned about voiding my warranty and I dont have a particularly great cooling system. Will an I5 2500k run doplhin fine on my pc without an OC or will I need 1 to run some games properly or is it overkill. Any advice is much appreciated
What games do you want to play? If SMG(2) and/or Twilight Princess are on the list, yes.
Please don't start a new thread OP, continue posting in your existing thread here: http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread...#pid171049
Why get a K and a discrete GPU then not OC? Its like getting a GTX590 to run solitaire. OC still voids your warrenty and I don't know how good the stock cooler is. But if everything runs fine now you can wait until they don't to OC.
(09-11-2011, 11:59 AM)Fargo94 Wrote: [ -> ]hi guys I've read that you should overlock an i5 2500k and am still unsure, the pc im looking at gettin it for has a

ATI Radeon 5750 HD
4gb RAm
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I'm not very knowledgeable about these things bit am concerned about voiding my warranty and I dont have a particularly great cooling system. Will an I5 2500k run doplhin fine on my pc without an OC or will I need 1 to run some games properly or is it overkill. Any advice is much appreciated

You won't need to overclock it. The processor has 6 MB of L3 cache and runs at 3.3 GHz stock. My E2160 @ 3 GHz nearly runs SMG2 and Twilight Princess at 100% speed with just 1 MB of cache. The i5 2500k is going to be considerably faster than what my E2160 is so I doubt you will need to OC for anything.
You run SMG2 at fullspeed with an E2160? What magic have you produced to do this? Only the absolute best cpus can handle SMG2 at fullspeed. My Q6600 @ 3.2GHz gets about 75-85% speed average. And everybody with core 2 quad/phenom II cpus in the 3.2-3.8GHz range reports similar speeds. A core i3/i5/i7 is needed to reach fullspeed and if you use LLE audio an overclocked sandy bridge is needed. So how have you managed to do it with a significantly weaker cpu? Everyone's performance with SMG2 falls into a nice perfectly predictable pattern based on their cpu. You would be the one and only outlier in the statistics.

If you really have managed this then I demand some proof so we can investigate this further.
(09-11-2011, 11:59 AM)Fargo94 Wrote: [ -> ]hi guys I've read that you should overlock an i5 2500k and am still unsure, the pc im looking at gettin it for has a

ATI Radeon 5750 HD
4gb RAm
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

i5 2500K is very fast as it is. Much faster than older processors at same clock speeds. Remember that it also overclocks automaticly to 3.7 GHz with turbo so you are in no need for manual overclocking.

Quote:Remember that it also overclocks automaticly to 3.7 GHz with turbo so you are in no need for manual overclocking.

There is if you want to run SMG/SMG2 at fullspeed all the time with LLE audio.