Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Hardware Advice Needed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi there guys I want to upgrade my pc to run dolphin games better
My specs are as follows

AMD Athlon IIX4 630 Processor
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon™ HD 5750 Graphics Card
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

I am consdering an i5 2500, but was wondering if I should upgrade my graphics card
also, I'm not a major tech head but feel my cpu may be the major hindrance. I would like to be able to run dolphin at thier max fps as well as play the games in 1680 by 1050 with "efb scaled copy", antisotrpic filtering 16X and anti-aliasing 9X SSA. My main question is if I shoudl upgrade my grpahics card or witha n i5 2500 it shoudl more then sufficient to run dolphin games well. Any advice would be much appreciated.
The HD5750 is decent. Upgrading to the i5 2500 is most important.
Quote:1680 by 1050 with "efb scaled copy"
Quote:anti-aliasing 9X SSA

If you want to use 9xSSAA + a high internal resolution you are insane. 9xSSAA is extremely taxing on the gpu shader throughput. Only the most powerful video cards in existence can handle that (GTX 580 for example). I suggest you turn off SSAA and be happy with a high internal resolution. Or use the d3d11 backend with MSAA.

And I agree with Starscream, an upgrade to an i5 2500 is what you need if you want to play the heavier games like SMG/SMG2.
thx guys so you think it is mainly my cpu wearing me down on fps rates, and with an i5 2500 and no anti-aliasing I should be fine to run most games at full FPS like you 2 have mentioned.
Quote:thx guys so you think it is mainly my cpu wearing me down on fps rates, and with an i5 2500 and no anti-aliasing I should be fine to run most games at full FPS like you 2 have mentioned.

Yes.
Get a 2500k and overclock that sucker Tongue
(09-10-2011, 05:42 PM)anon4453 Wrote: [ -> ]Get a 2500k and overclock that sucker Tongue

Agreed, if you are getting a 2500k, which has a great overclock potential, get too a "good" cooler and do a basic overclock, if you go read some tutorials on overclock a 2500k you will see its not that hard to make a overclock on a Sandy Bridge Family CPU.

(09-11-2011, 01:18 AM)kausdebonair Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2011, 05:42 PM)anon4453 Wrote: [ -> ]Get a 2500k and overclock that sucker Tongue

Agreed, if you are getting a 2500k, which has a great overclock potential, get too a "good" cooler and do a basic overclock, if you go read some tutorials on overclock a 2500k you will see its not that hard to make a overclock on a Sandy Bridge Family CPU.

It's also even easier with a UEFI BIOS-equipped motherboard.
As it stands if I were to get an i5 processor and not overclock it, would I not be able to run the wii games at full speed, also if i do overclock what risks can it pose? Sry I am very new to all of new any advice would be appreciated.
That depends on the game and the settings you use. Most games will run just fine with proper settings on a non-overclocking sandy bridge. Some of the heavier ones like SMG/SMG2 though will require an overclock to maintain fullspeed with accurate settings.

As for risks, that depends on whether you are willing to raise voltages and what kind of cooling you provide. As long as you provide good cooling (check the temperatures during a stress test with software), test for stability (once against with stress testing software), and don't raise voltages (do not leave them on auto, just set them to the stock values) overclocking is virtually risk free. If you overclock too much the system may crash, lockup, or fail to boot up. If this happens you just laugh it off and hit the CMOS reset button to reset your settings to defaults (or use the jumper on an older motherboard).

If you fail to make sure the system is stable with stress testing software.....well then you have an unstable system obviously (prone to crashes). If you fail to keep your temperatures within a reasonable range then you risk reducing the lifespan of the chip and it might even make the chip unstable. If you raise voltages you also reduce the lifespan of the chip, and if you raise them too much you can fry the chip essentially turning it into a $225 paper weight. However all three of these are common sense precautions that only the extremely stupid/ignorant would ignore.
Pages: 1 2