Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Exitting Dolphin completely with Esc key stops working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!

I am attempting to setup Dolphin to run from a frontend, because my goal is to have my MAME arcade cabinet be able to load Smash Bros Melee/Brawl. I've got it working for the most part except for one minor annoyance.. exitting back to the frontend.

The goal: At any point within a game, press a single button (Esc, in this case) and Dolphin will completely and seamless close (no Windows programs showing at all) back to the Frontend.

Current situation: I've got it going pretty close. Using the /b command line option, it appears to be loading up seamlessly into the game I pass to it (with the /e option). If I press Esc at this point, it closes back to the frontend successfully.

However, in the case I stated above, I'll be starting up Smash Bros Melee and/or Brawl. If I startup a match and press the Esc key at this point, it no longer closes. In fact, I have to hit Alt+Tab to get to the Dolphin GUI and close it there. And once I click Exit, Dolphin actually crashes. This is completely undesirable because the end goal is to not show any traces of Windows to the screen at any point.

Anyone have any advice on this? I saw a feature request that had something similar and it states it as "fixed", but I am unsure what the fix is. I have confirmed that my configuration has Escape set as the Stop key. Like I said, it works when the game firsts launches, but once you start a match it stops working.

Bumping this since I never got feedback before.

To add to this, I have noticed that if I'm in a game using a GAMEPAD as input, the Esc key works fine.

However, if I'm playing the game with keyboard input (which is desired in my case, please don't tell me to just use a gamepad because it won't work with my end goals), the Esc key will stop working.

I have also noticed in this situation that if I use alt+tab to change to a different window, and then alt+tab back into the game, the Esc key will work just fine again. So it is as if Dolphin is "losing focus" in a way to the keyboard, but only for the Esc key... game inputs with the keyboard still work.
I should just close this since you didn't bother to read or follow the rules when posting a thread, but I'll give you a chance to do that now since these rules were recently added.

Read the rules here ---> http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/announcements.php?aid=4 especially the part about creating new threads. Post the missing information that is required.
(09-15-2011, 04:25 AM)[SS] Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]I should just close this since you didn't bother to read or follow the rules when posting a thread, but I'll give you a chance to do that now since these rules were recently added.

Read the rules here ---> http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/announcements.php?aid=4 especially the part about creating new threads. Post the missing information that is required.

My utmost apologies, Mr. Starscream. It becomes very difficult to take the time to follow the rules of every single forum on the internet. But you are correct, I should have included the info mentioned in the post you linked.

I can't give you exact specs at the moment since I'm not at that machine, but I don't think it is relevant because a friend of mine is trying to accomplish the same thing and having the exact same issue. I will get these this evening if they are deemed relevant. However, I do believe we are both running revision 7719, Windows 64-bit (the latest revision not listed as "Build Failed").

As far as settings, here are the ones that I believe are relevant... if there is a way to export your settings to a file to attach to a post, I can do that, but I am unaware of it.

Config>Interface>Confirm on Stop is OFF
GCPad>Buttons are configured to the keyboard.
GCPad>Background Input is ON (not entirely sure what this does but thought it might help)
Wiimote>All Wiimotes configured to None.
Hotkey>Stop is set to "Escape".

As mentioned in the original post, the command is being launched via command line as follows:

Dolphin.exe /e <rompath> /b
Try Dolphin 3.0, if the results are the same, try Dolphin 2.0. Post back your findings when you're done so we can see where we're at.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page where it says "releases" and there you will see the 3.0 and 2.0 builds. http://www.dolphin-emu.org/download.html Try both 64 and 32-bit builds as well (if applicable).
(09-15-2011, 05:09 AM)[SS] Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Try Dolphin 3.0, if the results are the same, try Dolphin 2.0. Post back your findings when you're done so we can see where we're at.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page where it says "releases" and there you will see the 3.0 and 2.0 builds. http://www.dolphin-emu.org/download.html Try both 64 and 32-bit builds as well (if applicable).

Alright, I've tried some more things with no success. Here is what I have found.. all revisions unless otherwise stated are 64bit. "Doesn't work" means that the Esc key does not exit unless I hit alt+tab twice first (to lose focus and regain focus).

r7719 - Doesn't work
v6505 - Doesn't work (heard this revision recommended for Smash Bros)
v3.0 - Doesn't work
v3.0 32bit - Won't run, says VCOMP100.DLL is missing. Assuming this is a conflict with 64bit DirectX.
v2.0 - Does not feature the /b option so cannot be run as batch. Won't work for me. Also Esc is mapped to Pause in this revision and I can't find an option to modify it.

I'm reasonably convinced it is a flaw in code at this point. This issue is not restricted to the /b option either, it can be reproduced by normal execution as well. The weird part is, if you load up a game and immediately hit Esc, it works. It's not until you play around a bit that it stops working.

Okay, I just narrowed this down even further as I typed that last paragraph. So weird, I don't understand this part at all. The Esc key stops working after I press either Right-Arrow or Down-Arrow. If I press Up-Arrow, Left-Arrow, the Z key, or the X key, it still works fine. As soon as I press either Right or Down it stops working. What the what?

To follow this I just remapped the arrow keys to the numberpad, and now everything works fine. This should be satisfactory to my needs. But, I wanted to report this to you guys anyway... There is something weird going on with the Right arrow and Down arrow keys. And this isn't just me. I can reproduce this on two different machines, and a friend trying the same thing can as well.