Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Game Languages
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

cweinhofer

Let me start by saying thanks for creating this emulator. Not only does it save me from having to buy a Wii, but it is also perfect since we use a computer running Windows Media Center and don't have an actual TV (which for those that don't know, the time lag with the video capture card makes an actual Wii impossible).

One other reason I have not purchased a Wii is because we are currently living in Japan and my understanding is that the Japanese Wii systems only run Japanese games. While I can read the pictorial characters, it's just to much effort when I want to relax and play video games.

Thus my question: If I buy a Nintendo title in Japan (like Mario Kart for example) does anyone know if the English is still in the game but just hidden? If so, can Dolphin execute the game in English if I have the correct settings?

Thanks for your assistance.
no idea. someone with a japanese game would need to read the ISO (can be done on Dolphin) and check if there is english info, even if there is some it may not be possible if the game itself doesnt have the option to change the language to english
I don't think so. The game will be as it's supposed to be on the real stuff but in a game like Mario Kart you might have menus in english at least but not sure...
Typically one does not leave "hidden" things which aren't accessible in game within the disc/installer because it's space that is better spent on the stuff that makes it into the game.

Occam's Razor, which states the simplest of multiple options is usually correct:
1. The game did not get translated for some reason (money, time, interest).
2. The game did get translated but the translation was hidden away so that no one could access it without applying a hack of some sort.

Option #2 sounds even more unrealistic when you consider the fact that it cost a lot of money to translate a game, especially if the audio is translated as well.
When the game is released in Japan first, the English translation isn't even made and thus not in the game (the translations are done by Nintendo of America and Europe). Also I doubt there's English even for games released at the same time, as Japanese typically are bad at English, though they uses a lot of English borrowed expressions. However, it's not like you really need to read the text for most games (You'll figure out those menus quickly). Also remember the nice wiimote icons and other stuff appearing all the time in Nintendo games.

Muwamowuma22

If you don't own a Wii or you've never had a Wii then you're doing piracy. Piracy is illegal.

Well I'm not gonna do anything.
(09-02-2011, 06:51 AM)Muwamowuma22 Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't own a Wii or you've never had a Wii then you're doing piracy.

That's not true, lets stay on topic.

As I live in Europe I have gotten my hands on some Japanese titles for various systems over the years and my experience is that some games have the option to switch between languages very easily while some just is natively Japanese.

It's nice to have the game running in a language you can understand but I don't mind the Japanese versions heck I don't know anything about the language.

Sometimes they have neat extras or is exclusively being released in Japan.
Take the game Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the PSX for example.
A rare Japanese version was made for the Sega Saturn containing extra areas, enemies, weapons, accessories etc.

Having played the American version for so long it was a breeze to play through and I knew exactly what they said.

Mario Kart should be a simple game to play for anyone not knowing Japanese.
But heavier RPGs could be a problem and I haven't seen one with the option to choose language.

However Nintendo have been better with this with a lot of titles that have had the option to switch language.
(09-05-2011, 06:53 PM)Maverick Hunter X Wrote: [ -> ]As I live in Europe I have gotten my hands on some Japanese titles for various systems over the years and my experience is that some games have the option to switch between languages very easily while some just is natively Japanese.

It's nice to have the game running in a language you can understand but I don't mind the Japanese versions heck I don't know anything about the language.

Sometimes they have neat extras or is exclusively being released in Japan.
Take the game Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the PSX for example.
A rare Japanese version was made for the Sega Saturn containing extra areas, enemies, weapons, accessories etc.

Having played the American version for so long it was a breeze to play through and I knew exactly what they said.

Mario Kart should be a simple game to play for anyone not knowing Japanese.
[b]But heavier RPGs could be a problem and I haven't seen one with the option to choose language[/b].

However Nintendo have been better with this with a lot of titles that have had the option to switch language.

Yes a lot of excellent RPGs have never been exported out of Japan/Asia only solution was import. Emulation gave us a chance to play them in english/french/german/etc thanks to translation patches but it's mainly on 8-bits/16-bits systems. For Mario Kart I agree language isn't really annoying. Moreover you may sometimes have menus in english to help you...
If you replace the menu files from a pal or ntscu version using wiiscrubber it is possible.
Pages: 1 2