Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Audio Emulation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yeah I've heard a time or two that it is close to impossible achieve better audio emulation with HLE atm. I was curious about this. Why is that? Doesnt HLEing the core would be even harder, due to not loading the BIOS, and whatever?

I'd like to know a bit more about audio emulation on Dolphin... I've done some search, but I'd like some up to date info Wink
Reverse engineering the DSP CPU was apparently easier than reverse engineering the tons of µcodes out there - RE'ing comes before reimplementing, and reimplementing is also comparatively easier for the DSP CPU than for the µcodes.
Hmmm, alright, but yet, further improving the HLE sound emulation in Dolphin is just much harder then working on LLE or did it reach a dead end, where it is impossible to go on? (I'm pretty sure I saw this like some years ago on the forum, not sure if I understood right back then)

Thanks, just a curiosity I had from long time ^^
It's harder, but also less rewarding for any dev since we already have perfect LLE emulation.
(yes, "but HLE will be faster and more people will enjoy it" and bla, but that's unlikely to be enough motivation)

However, perfect HLE DSP emulation sure is possible.
Thanks for the info.