Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Llano + Dolphin = ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
[quote='dannzen' pid='167595' dateline='1313790605']
iam speaking of the sandybridge i-serie desktop version...
who the fuck is using a notebook to play dolphin?

Not looking for asinine answers.

The people that don't really like desktops? Like me. I'm not a desktop nor Intel fan really.

I'm not asking about desktops/IntelVSAMD/ or anything else.

All I'm asking how if anybody has any experience or has ran Dolphin with a A8-3500M Llano APU. That's it.
I'm on the A6 in my sig, it's better than most laptops and has a really decent GPU. Not sure about the A8, but I'd imaging it'd be better. Many games are quite playable here, but not all.
Quote:All I'm asking how if anybody has any experience or has ran Dolphin with a A8-3500M Llano APU. That's it.

Just took a look at the specs sheet. That cpu has a dynamic clock rate that changes based on temperature, power consumption, and throughput utilization. It has a minimum clock rate of 1.5GHz and a maximum of 2.4GHz. Clock for clock it is roughly on par with an athlon II desktop cpu (very slightly faster). Assuming it's running at it's maximum clock rate it should be on par with a 2.5GHz athlon II X4, a 2.2GHz phenom II X4, a 2.0GHz core 2 quad, 1.8GHz 1st gen core i5/i7 (lyynfield/bloomfield/gulftown) or 1.6GHz 2nd gen core i5/i7 (sandy bridge) as far as dolphin performance is concerned. I'm less familiar with laptop cpus though so I would have to look up the specs of each cpu to compare it to manually (most dolphin users run it on a desktop so this is why I have more data to work with).
(08-20-2011, 08:56 AM)[SS] Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]I'm on the A6 in my sig, it's better than most laptops and has a really decent GPU. Not sure about the A8, but I'd imaging it'd be better. Many games are quite playable here, but not all.

Finally, thank you.

Would you mind offering a small list of games you have used so far? Either GC or Wii. It would be much appreciated!
(08-20-2011, 09:08 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:All I'm asking how if anybody has any experience or has ran Dolphin with a A8-3500M Llano APU. That's it.

Just took a look at the specs sheet. That cpu has a dynamic clock rate that changes based on temperature, power consumption, and throughput utilization. It has a minimum clock rate of 1.5GHz and a maximum of 2.4GHz. Clock for clock it is roughly on par with an athlon II desktop cpu (very slightly faster). Assuming it's running at it's maximum clock rate it should be on par with a 2.5GHz athlon II X4, a 2.2GHz phenom II X4, a 2.0GHz core 2 quad, 1.8GHz 1st gen core i5/i7 (lyynfield/bloomfield/gulftown) or 1.6GHz 2nd gen core i5/i7 (sandy bridge) as far as dolphin performance is concerned. I'm less familiar with laptop cpus though so I would have to look up the specs of each cpu to compare it to manually (most dolphin users run it on a desktop so this is why I have more data to work with).

Thank you too, that was very informative, I'll have to go through probably NotebookCheck and look all those up. Smile
Or to further summarize: It's better than most laptop cpus but it's still shit compared to even the worst desktop cpus on the market today. Performance will depend on what game you're trying to play since dolphin's throughput requirements vary greatly from one game to another. I would expect it to be on par with an i5/i7m @ 1.8-1.9GHz which means pretty much any mobile i5/i7s will beat it when it comes to dolphin. On the other hand it would kick the crap out of most core 2 duo mobile and previous amd mobile cpus (current generation AMD cpus tend to be comparable to intel cpus from the previous generation, sorry to sound like an intel fanboy but it's statistically true).
(08-20-2011, 12:15 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Or to further summarize: It's better than most laptop cpus but it's still shit compared to even the worst desktop cpus on the market today. Performance will depend on what game you're trying to play since dolphin's throughput requirements vary greatly from one game to another. I would expect it to be on par with an i5/i7m @ 1.8-1.9GHz which means pretty much any mobile i5/i7s will beat it when it comes to dolphin. On the other hand it would kick the crap out of most core 2 duo mobile and previous amd mobile cpus (current generation AMD cpus tend to be comparable to intel cpus from the previous generation, sorry to sound like an intel fanboy but it's statistically true).

That's cool, I don't really like Intel and I don't really do desktops so I don't care much about that, and aside from Dolphin I won't be doing anything else extensive that I would need more processing power anyway, and the battery life for Llano's is great which is my main thing. Good battery life and good price.

According to the benchmarks' the A8 3500M IS on par, if not slightly better than my current first gen i7 so that's more than enough for me and the GPU's are pretty much the same, with not a HUGE difference between the 5730 and 6620G.
Quote:According to the benchmarks' the A8 3500M IS on par, if not slightly better than my current first gen i7
Sorry to sound like a dick but once again:
Quote:Yeah....in a heavily multithreaded synthetic benchmark.

I guarantee you the i7 will slaughter the llano in any dolphin benchmark.
(08-20-2011, 01:33 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:According to the benchmarks' the A8 3500M IS on par, if not slightly better than my current first gen i7
Sorry to sound like a dick but once again:
Quote:Yeah....in a heavily multithreaded synthetic benchmark.

I guarantee you the i7 will slaughter the llano in any dolphin benchmark.

I'm talking aside from Dolphin as well. Though as long as I can play with no choppyness and stuff I'm cool. I don't expect much for $650
Llano is a joke , even the weak i5 430M could beat it
Cinebench R10 :
_I5 430M : 6299.6
_A8 3500M : 5077.5
(08-20-2011, 02:36 PM)NotImportnat Wrote: [ -> ]I'm talking aside from Dolphin as well. Though as long as I can play with no choppyness and stuff I'm cool. I don't expect much for $650

buy a rig for $650
and beat the shit out of dolphin...

(08-20-2011, 05:13 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Llano is a joke , even the weak i5 430M could beat it
Cinebench R10 :
_I5 430M : 6299.6
_A8 3500M : 5077.5

try to compare the single thread benchmarks...
AMD is just gay...
there is nothing to add

Cinebench R10: Rendering Single 32Bit
AMD:
min: 1589 avg: 1601 (33%) max: 1613 Points
Intel:
min: 2573 avg: 2736.2 (57%) max: 2953 Points

nearly 50% more single core power?
whats up guys
forget amd as a brand
Pages: 1 2 3