Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How does this make any sense?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just can't wrap my head around this one:

[Image: what.jpg]

Anti-Aliasing is the only setting I'm changing here and this is what happens. The opposite would make sense to me but turning it on to increase performance does not. By the way 4x is still 100% and 8x drops to 92% or so.

I came across this because I noticed the game was running at under 100% in a place where it always ran at 100% before and checked my settings and the only thing that had changed was that I had turned off AA for some other game.
The gods have smiled upon you, don't mock them!
Did you actually try this more than once? :/
Yeah, I tried flipping it back and forth a lot. It only worked in Super Mario Galaxy though. In other games (including SMG2 oddly enough) it would just be slower with 2 samples than none.

Also I'm only just now noticing how much AA seems to slow down Dolphin in general. I thought that it would not make much of a difference since it's the GPU's job which Dolphin doesn't stress much compared to the CPU and I have a Radeon HD 6950.
How many games have you tried? In dx11 I rarely see a frame hit unless I'm just barely stable at whatever the game's natural framerate is, or if I bump it up to 8x. Most games don't show much or any difference with 2x or 4x that I've tried so far.
Well I mean many games run way past 100% for me so even if I turn on AA and set it to 4x or 8x they will run at full speed but if turn off all limiters so it'll be like 250% then I can see a big drops in the percentage when I increase the AA setting. If I play a game that barely gets 100% having lots of AA will hurt.
Did you try booting up the game with 2xMSAA instead of opening the control panel and changing it?
(08-18-2011, 06:45 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Did you try booting up the game with 2xMSAA instead of opening the control panel and changing it?

I did now and still the same difference. Also it keeps changing by area. For example in the observatory hub area I get 125% speed or so with no AA and 110-115% with 2x but at the first area of Space Junk galaxy I get 96% with no AA and 115% with 2x AA so that's a pretty big increase. I'm just playing at 2xAA now since it almost never drops under 100% compared to no AA.
Okay, I tried Rev 7676 instead of 3.0 and while it seems a bit slower to me overall AA setting has NO effect on performance here. I can turn it to 8x no problem. Weird.