Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will I see -any- increase in frames after I upgrade my Graphics card?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Going from an 8800GT to a GTX 560ti 1GB

Will I see any increase in frames? I know emulators are more CPU dependent, but does that mean graphics cards affect nothing at all? Because Xenoblade is looking to run VERY good on this guy's specs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jp7RcyDIVA

I wonder if I'll get similar frames if not better?
I upgraded my PC's graphics card from G310 to GTX 550 Ti 2GB, and the FPS multiplied (I'm kind of exaggerating, but it's true nonetheless).

You should be seeing increases in FPS after you upgrade, but that's still depend on your CPU, as it could bottleneck (I have limited knowledge about AMD's, so I'm not sure if yours could).
Start Xenoblade, and decrease your graphics setting to .5 native and no anti-aliasing and stuff like that. If you see an increase in fps, then upgrading will help. If you don't, then your CPU is the bottleneck.
PC boards said my Processor -GFX combo won't bottleneck.

So, do you think I'll see an increase in FPS?
That depends entirely on your settings, which video backend you're using, and what games you are playing. Keep in mind that while most pc games are gpu bound in most situations dolphin is usually cpu bound.

A better video card will allow you to raise your internal resolution and AA level without seeing a drop in framerate. An 8800GT is already sufficient for a 3x internal resolution with any game and a 4x internal resolution with most games with the d3d9 backend and no SSAA. If you want to use a high internal resolution and SSAA at the same time then you'll see a difference from upgrading.
(08-18-2011, 06:31 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]That depends entirely on your settings, which video backend you're using, and what games you are playing. Keep in mind that while most pc games are gpu bound in most situations dolphin is usually cpu bound.

A better video card will allow you to raise your internal resolution and AA level without seeing a drop in framerate. An 8800GT is already sufficient for a 3x internal resolution with any game and a 4x internal resolution with most games with the d3d9 backend and no SSAA. If you want to use a high internal resolution and SSAA at the same time then you'll see a difference from upgrading.

Completely agreed, a 8800 gt should be enough for a good video quality in dolphin. You should do a video card upgrade, but not having dolphin in mind, if you dont play PC games at all, then you dont need a new video card. You will get better FPS overclocking or buying a newer faster CPU.

shadowdancer

I'm running a newly acquired 9800gt (rebranding of the 8800GT) it seems to me that the framerates greatly vary by version. I ran a 7700 series build and it ran New Mario at 21fps.

I was quite puzzled because some guy ran the EU Xenoblade at ~30 in 720p with a 9800gt and a quad core (I'm currently running a 2.4ghz Intel Quad). I fired up my 6900 series build and it ran Mario perfect. Didn't have some of the neat new features such as video scaling (for example, 1280x720 fullscreen, but running native internal res however on the old one, if I selected 1280x720, that is exactly the resolution you got)