Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Convertion quad-core to dual-core is possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

brunovianam

Hi. I have a hp pavilon-dv6-3080br notebook with 4GB ddr3, ATI Mobility Radeon 5650 with 1GB dedicated memory, AMD quad-core P920 1.6Ghz processor and windows ultimate 64 bits. My problem is that Dolphin dosenĀ“t run very well in my computer because it cant use the 4 cores. I want to know if it's possible to "covert" my quad-core in a dual-core by "funding" two cores, having so a dual core with 3.2 Ghz on each core.
No, sorry. The newer intel Core i proccessors have this feature, which is called turbo-boost, but your AMD processor doesn't have that. Turbo-boost, for example, can raise my processor's speed to over 3.0 Ghz when using 2 cores.
It's possible to disable two of the cores in the bios setup then overclock the remaining cores. But:

1. You'll never be able to get anywhere close to 3.2 GHz. Multicore improves efficiency. 4 cores running at 1.6GHz will produce roughly the same heat as 2 cores running at 2.0-2.4GHz depending the whether a voltage increase is necessary and the architecture of the cpu.

2. Most brand name computers, especially laptops, do not have a bios setup with the necessary level of control over the system needed to do this.
lol wut, you dont understand how CPUS work, disabling 2 wouldnt give the other 2 a 1.6ghz boost they are all 1.6ghz regardless of what you do, dolphin will only use 2 cores even on a 1 million core cpu it would still only use 2, buy a better laptop
(08-15-2011, 08:18 AM)linkinworm Wrote: [ -> ]lol wut, you dont understand how CPUS work, disabling 2 wouldnt give the other 2 a 1.6ghz boost they are all 1.6ghz regardless of what you do, dolphin will only use 2 cores even on a 1 million core cpu it would still only use 2, buy a better laptop

You don't know that he/she's talking about >_>

Disabling other cores will help reduce heat and voltage and therefore it is safer to overclock remaining cores at higher GHz at same voltage
Quote:Disabling other cores will help reduce heat and voltage and therefore it is safer to overclock remaining cores at higher GHz at same voltage

Heat yes, voltage no.
(08-15-2011, 12:52 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Disabling other cores will help reduce heat and voltage and therefore it is safer to overclock remaining cores at higher GHz at same voltage

Heat yes, voltage no.

No for voltage as in that cpu must have same amount of voltage even if some cores are disabled? Or what did I missed?
Its possible you can lower the voltage further if the 2 CPUs disabled weren't stable at lower voltage but the 2 still left on are. But simply turning them off won't do anything is what I think NV is saying.
Quote:No for voltage as in that cpu must have same amount of voltage even if some cores are disabled? Or what did I missed?

The way your post was worded implied that disabling cores somehow lowers the voltage of the cpu, which is of course dead wrong.

What you probably meant to say was that was that by disabling some cores you can now use a lower voltage if you want to. Which is also not accurate unless as lamedude put it:

Quote:Its possible you can lower the voltage further if the 2 CPUs disabled weren't stable at lower voltage but the 2 still left on are.

Simply put if you have a quad core running at 3.0GHz that needs 1.3 vcore at that clock rate to be stable even if you disable 2 cores it will likely still need 1.3 vcore. Unless as lamedude said the two remaining cores just happen to be stable at a lower voltage than the two that you disabled.
(08-15-2011, 09:33 AM)Lucario Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-15-2011, 08:18 AM)linkinworm Wrote: [ -> ]lol wut, you dont understand how CPUS work, disabling 2 wouldnt give the other 2 a 1.6ghz boost they are all 1.6ghz regardless of what you do, dolphin will only use 2 cores even on a 1 million core cpu it would still only use 2, buy a better laptop

You don't know that he/she's talking about >_>

Disabling other cores will help reduce heat and voltage and therefore it is safer to overclock remaining cores at higher GHz at same voltage

umm if you want to overclock the 2 cores you could still want a high stable voltage for overclocking, get your facts straight. also on my quad core it never goes about 75 C on all 4 core full load so less heat is a minimal advantage, becasue dolphin only uses 2 cores anyway so the heat will be basically the same as if 4 cores were enabled becasue only 4 are being used anyway
Pages: 1 2