Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can someone explain the diffference of dolphin 2.0, 3.0 and latest revision?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I understand the revisions and how they're always being worked on and updated.

My question is whats the difference between a copy of dolphin 2.0 or 3.0 and the revision?

is 3.0 better than a revision? are the revisions considered "beta" and 3.0 a stable version?
2.0 is the older stable version, 3.0 is the newest stable version. New builds past 3.0 may or may not be better and may or may not have issues that stable builds do not have. For the normal user (playing games), the newest stable version should be used, right now that's 3.0.
(08-13-2011, 05:40 AM)[SS] Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]2.0 is the older stable version, 3.0 is the newest stable version. New builds past 3.0 may or may not be better and may or may not have issues that stable builds do not have. For the normal user (playing games), the newest stable version should be used, right now that's 3.0.

so pretty much

3.0= stable official build

revision #### = beta build

am i right?
Revisions are less than "beta builds", beta builds would imply that they're some special semi-stable releases which should be tested as much as possible or sth. "Revisions" are known to be buggy and stuff, that's just how development works.

Don't get me wrong, we're glad about any obscure regressions which might have been introduced, but we don't need like 500 issues about how broken the rewritten texture cache is when we knew that it'd temporarily break stuff from the beginning anyway.
Revision number builds are not even considered beta, they're considered "use at your own risk" and really should not be used at all. The only reason they are used is that the project is open source and anyone can compile any build at any time. For best results, just use the stable builds unless you're trying to track down bugs.
haha and all this time i've been using the revisions up till when 3.0 came out and just constantly downloading them as they changed XD
Yeah but before 3.0 came out there wasn't a release for over a year so it was better to use 'certified' stable releases like 6515 or 6505 until 3.0.
so id take it 3.0 is the most stable?

I'm kind annoyed though i tried to play transformers war for cybertron (the shooter) and it didnt work. It "plays" the game but it really doesnt. It'll show 0 FPS and 30 VPS

doesnt even get to the wii welcome menu showing the controller
Having never used 2.0 I can't vouch to the stability of the release. I have to say I frequently used updated revisions only and unwittingly, and I enjoyed the performance from many if not all of them. If something broke I reverted back to a different revision I seem to remember DL'n quite a few revisions. Then I heard of 3.0, it is quite stable and playable and I am currently running many games quite happily. GO DOLPHIN. And many thanks to the team for such a great release.

Test the revisions. Play 3.0

And transformers war for cybertron, you will need to try adjusting various settings and or testing other revisions in order to determine its playability. Good luck. and enjoy dolphin.
In my honest opinion 2.0 is a lot more stable than 3.0. But 3.0 is much better in every other way (which is to be expected).
Pages: 1 2