Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: The new 2x mode
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Why a 2x mode?

The positive is that it allows a high-res mode for the 3D where the 2D on-screen display is not distorted. The only downside is that the resulting internal resolution doesn't match the screen resolution. This makes the whole picture slightly blurrier because there is a bilinear resizing of the entire picture.

Examples

Here's an example of the benefit of the new 2x mode (for the OpenGL plugin):

[Image: 2x.png]

The pictures are from StarFox Assault. If I use an internal resolution that is not evenly divisible with the native resolution there will be problems in upscaling 2D graphics as the rightmost picture show. At even intervals there are double rows of pixels, the errors that this results in are most visible at the spots where the red arrows are pointing.

This is much less of an issue when the resolution is already as high as close to 640 x 480 as it is for most GameCube games. It's much more of an issue with for example N64 games which is the reason why I would like to see a similar option for an N64 graphics plugin.
Hmm nice Tongue
John Peterson i can give you svn write access to the Aristotle Graphics Plugin for Nintendo 64 if you want.
(06-08-2009, 05:33 PM)death-droid Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm nice Tongue
John Peterson i can give you svn write access to the Aristotle Graphics Plugin for Nintendo 64 if you want.

Okay, I didn't know about that plugin. I'll check it out.

Update: Okay it seems to work now. It looks good, lots of options. What I want to take a look at is if I can get the Mario 64 text to be displayed with the exact original pixels. It doesn't seem like the game is using a 4:3 resolution because all 4:3 resolutions produce errors similar to this.
You might be able to get it display the original pixels.
Also that image isn't loading.
(06-08-2009, 08:01 PM)death-droid Wrote: [ -> ]Also that image isn't loading.

Yes, the board software keep placing a bad letter in the URL.

(06-08-2009, 08:01 PM)death-droid Wrote: [ -> ]You might be able to get it display the original pixels.

What is the resolution that Mario 64 originally use? Can you guide me to the code where I would detect the native resolution a game is using.
I have no idea.
I've only being hosting the source code the original developer was Rice then it was Mudlord then it was Arisitotle.
Here's another example of the problems with the internal texture resizing. The custom resolutions will get jagged edges. Expecially the 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768 modes in this case.

1x
[attachment=1194]

2x
[attachment=1195]

800 x 600
[attachment=1196]

1024 x 768
[attachment=1197]

1280 x 1024
[attachment=1198]
Ah coool.
Are those from the SSB(N64) or what ever the wii ones called.
It's from Super Smash Bros. Melee for Gamecube
i euh

dont see a difference