Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin constantly crashes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi! I just got started with Dolphin about a week ago, and I've been experiencing some performance issues. I've only played Gamecube games on it so far, and most of the games run at a pretty good FPS with a few occasional stutters, but most of them have a habit of crashing. I'm not sure why it does this, and the graphics card itself seems to crash as well. I've messed around with the Dolphin settings a lot the past few days, but I haven't found a way to stop it from crashing. We updated our graphics card but it didn't seem to help. As far as I can tell, our PC should be able to handle it:

COMPUTER SPECS
Windows 7 64-bit
Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
3.0GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

And my default Dolphin (v. 3.0) settings:

[Image: dBDA0.png] [Image: Qpo3c.png] [Image: 4vDIE.png] [Image: 3MLLf.png] [Image: Jf45B.png] [Image: 7sm9I.png] [Image: Tg5o8.png] [Image: PEYiE.png] [Image: 6F23m.png] [Image: Fj0y2.png]

I'm really inexperienced with this emulator, so if you want to know some specific specs or comment on my Dolphin settings feel free. So far the worst performing games are Metroid Prime 1 & 2, which have a terrible framerate (which rarely happens on my other games) and are constantly crashing.

Any help would be very much appreciated!
Have you tried using the DX9 video back-end?
(07-31-2011, 09:39 AM)[SS] Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried using the DX9 video back-end?

Yes, probably not enough up to this point but I just did. Blush It does run better, so I'll probably use this by default now, but still crashes. Hmm. In Mario Sunshine there's a specific spot right in a cutscene where it not always, but likes to crash:

http://i.imgur.com/sTogp.jpg
(07-31-2011, 10:41 AM)charliechip95 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2011, 09:39 AM)[SS] Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried using the DX9 video back-end?

Yes, probably not enough up to this point but I just did. Blush It does run better, so I'll probably use this by default now, but still crashes. Hmm. In Mario Sunshine there's a specific spot right in a cutscene where it not always, but likes to crash:

Uncheck Skip EFB Access and uncheck Disable EFB Copies too (with dx9)
(07-31-2011, 06:08 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2011, 10:41 AM)charliechip95 Wrote: [ -> ]

Uncheck Skip EFB Access and uncheck Disable EFB Copies too (with dx9)

Hmm, I gave that a try but no luck. Sad It's worth noting that I also changed EFB Copies to Texture, because disabled seems to cause a lot of texture glitches for me.
I'm still experiencing the crashes, took a picture of one today. Sometimes it also says the GPU stopped responding. Sad

[Image: JQd2l.jpg]
I forgot to do this in the photo, but if you click "View Details" on the pop-up shown in the picture, it actually shows this...

"Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Local\Temp\WERDA2D.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Local\Temp\WER4433.tmp.appcompat.txt
C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Local\Temp\WER4491.tmp.WERDataCollectionFailure.txt"

Anyone have any idea what that could mean? I'm still hoping to fix this if at all possible! Tongue
those are windows temp files, which means it has something to do with your cmoputer as a whole and not specificly Dolphin

computer -> Properties -> Windows Experience Index -> Advanced Tools -> Generate a system health report -> read

somebody else had a similar problem to the one you have and was recommended to re-install Windows
http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-m...ion-2.html

(and i found all this info by searching "WERDataCollectionFailure.txt" on google. who would have thought?)
(08-15-2011, 06:41 PM)silveruniverse Wrote: [ -> ]those are windows temp files, which means it has something to do with your cmoputer as a whole and not specificly Dolphin

computer -> Properties -> Windows Experience Index -> Advanced Tools -> Generate a system health report -> read

somebody else had a similar problem to the one you have and was recommended to re-install Windows
http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-m...ion-2.html

(and i found all this info by searching "WERDataCollectionFailure.txt" on google. who would have thought?)

Huh, that's weird. I haven't had any problems with our Windows 7 install. I generated a system health report and it didn't find anything. Is there any specific software (like flash or something) I could try re-installing, or is it an operating system issue specifically? I've been able to run other emulators just fine, like Project64, etc.
I'm having the same issue random crashes out of nowhere, i have a similar system except that i have a 5850 and i still don't know why these crashes occur, and its really bugging me since i loose lot of unsaved data. i have version 3.204 of dolphin
any help?
Pages: 1 2