Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why does Super Mario Galaxy need such a good processor?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Question in the title Cool
It's a demanding game nothing more
because 10000 coins are spinning in the background Wink
IT'S A COMPLEX EMULATOR!!!.

Just look at the code and you'll understand.

Unfortunately I doubt your understanding of programming and computer science is sufficient to understand any good explanation (if it was you wouldn't have asked the question in the first place).

The simplest explanation I can give you is that the amount of time needed to process the code needed to emulate a given function with dolphin has absolutely no relation to the amount of time needed to execute the native code on the native hardware. If a game happens to call a function that takes a long time to execute a lot it will be a very demanding game on dolphin, but this is totally unrelated to how it works on the native hardware.
its like emulating a women...

pick up a men...
breast implants...
Hormone therapy...
some waxing
a new nose
a haircut
cutting the ....

its harder to emulate something...
Wow that a lot of goofy responses..

1) After you get past the beginning it will get better. Nintendo is known for the WOW factor. Think back to the first 3d Zelda OOT. That place you started was amazing compared to the rest of the game. Most world are small in comparison. At least in the beginning.

2) Its not really the game its the emulation. It will get better as Dolphin evolves. The games its self is not more more complex then twilight princess. But even in TP the game slows way down in the terrain.

3) I run the game with a 3.2 dual AMD clocked at 3.8. The game was very hard to play until it really started. The first galaxy was VERY playable. I dont have the top of the line CPU or anything.
Quote:2) Its not really the game its the emulation. It will get better as Dolphin evolves. The games its self is not more more complex then twilight princess. But even in TP the game slows way down in the terrain.

^This is the point I was trying to get at. Except I'm also trying to add the additional point that dolphin's performance is not based purely on something as simple as the size of an area, it's based on much more complicated factors such as what functions the game engine uses and how often it uses them. This is something that can't be predicted. Two games that achieve the same performance on the native hardware may perform an order of magnitude apart from each other on dolphin.
(07-28-2011, 10:52 AM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]cutting the ....

LOL