Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [GC] Zelda Twilight Princess resolution question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, I'm new to the forums and have been using dolphin for about two weeks now, Its a great emulator and the devs should be proud of their work and keep it up.

Now onto my question; It seems that changing the resolution in Twilight Princess actually does have an impact to the performance on a machine with a fast video card contrary to the popular belief that video processing power does not (relatively) matter.

I have machine with a Peryn T9300 2.5ghz 6MB L2 core 2 duo cpu and a geforce 8800m GTS and there is a difference of about 1-2 and occasionally 3 frames between 1400x900 resolution and native resolution. Is this normal or perhaps just a driver issue? I have x4 AF on but no AA. All the normal dolphin settings are on with the exception of idle skipping. Bloom hack is on as well.

Also (off topic) can anyone recommend any games that would work well on my cpu besides Smash Bros?

Thanks
mario Sunshine and 1080° work on my 3ghz c2d with only some slowdowns and are completable (few crashes from time to time)

to your resolution question :

i noticed loosing some fps when changing the resolution from 4:3 to 16:10/16:9 resolution.

as 1440*900 is also 16:10 i think that this may be the reason.

But well, its only ~2fps, i still use 1920*1080 Big Grin
I get the same FPS no matter if I have native res with no extras or AA and AF x16 with 1600x1200 res...

Using 8800GT, but my CPU and stuff sucks.
So could it be a driver issue perhaps?

1-2 fps makes a HUGE difference between a sluggish 25 and a smooth 27fps in Zelda.

I will try a different resolution to see if it will make a difference.

By the way any other suggestions for well emulated games for my computer?
Ok I check and it is definitely a difference with the video options changed. With AA on there is a loss of about 4-6 fps at 1400x900 resolution in twilight princess. This is with a geforce 8800m GTS and Nvidia 185.85 driver.

Is this normal?

I will try to roll back to a previous driver to see if there is a difference.
I tried a different driver and its still the same thing... in fact other games work faster in native res... smash bros runs a full 5 frames faster in some stages. Any help from the devs?

I have a 8800m gts so why do I get a performance hit even at 1024x768?