Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Weird Recording problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Heya all,

I was planing to make a "Lets Play" Video for the game Fatal frame 4 and found out: something is pretty weird here.
Let me explain, what i testet:

I used Dolphin Reversion 5461, because it runs VERY good on the emulator (all the time 100%+++ without recording) and tested it with r6861 and Dolphin 3.0 aswell.
Every emulator can run that game almost perfect all the time, without recording, but the weird part starts, when im pushing the record button.

to record things, i use Fraps v3.4.2

r5461:
Constant 30FPS ingame with Framelimiter, without about 40~70. (120~210%) without recording.
When i start recording, the FPS drops to 15FPS,the gamespeed runs at 100% all the time (Audio Throttle on).
When i disable Audio throttle (Now read CAREFULL!!!) the gamespeed go though the roof, it starts running at 40FPS and gamespeed is like 150% all the time. <- Recording
i mean, what the? but i cant explain why, its like rocket science for me, i mean i know what im talking about but damn thats weird. game is supersmooth then but unplayable and not good for a Lets Play, so its out of option.
when i enable frame limiter, the FPS again drops to 15FPS constant, it doesnt change, when i use limiter with 15,30,50,60 FPS, its allways 15FPS.
i dont know, how to get it work smooth with 30FPS with recording.

that is this reversion, now the other:

r6861:
Without recording, again it runs pretty good, but not as good, as r5461. it runs with 40~50fps max.
when i add framelimiter, its allways 30fps, so 100%. perfect actually.
When i start recording, FPS drops to 10FPS and gamespeed is like 25%, no changes when i disable Audio Throttle ore Frame limiter.
i tryed everything, i does in r5461 but it doesnt go much higher then 9~12FPS and it doesnt increase gamespeed, it allways between 20% and 30%. unplayable.

Dolphin v3.0 is not that different from r6861, but it increase FPS to 19~23 but game runs at 75~85%.
would be good actually, but when i deactivate more options, some weird hings appear, lightning is bad ore game crashes.

So the only really good option is the r5461 with its good performance here. is there some hint, where i can force the emulator to 30FPS with recording?

spezial info:
i was trying to run fraps on 1 core and dolphin on the other 3. Dolphin doesnt use more then 2 core´s, but it actually gives dolphin a small speedup (like 2~5FPS) and the 4. core doesnt do much, its like 5%.
But the other core´s runs at 30% (Core 1) 15% (Core 2) and 5~10% (Core 3). So its actually only 50~60% CPU usage. why it dont use all 100%? i dont understand that.
when i let use fraps all 4 cores and dolphin all 4 cores, the first 3 does everything and the last core is like 0~1% usage.
with all the tests ive done with the CPU and its cores, nothing was noticable in the FPS when im recording on every emulator. does Fraps really doesnt need THAT much power, that its only use 5% of one fregging core? i think no, but it doesnt chance, when i start recording (45% without, 55~% with recording).

My System:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
AMD Phenom x4 940 @ 3.2ghz
ATI Radeon HD4870 @ 1GB vRam
6GB Ram @ 1033 MhZ Kingston
Game:Fatal Frame 4 (English patched)
Reversion: 5461, 6861 and v3.0

can someone help me ore atleast explain it?

greez
Nobody knows a reason for this huh? thats what i thought Sleepy
Well, your CPU is too weak to emulate while recording wih fraps...
i think no, ore do you have some explaination for the mysterie that is going on with the r5XXX version of dolphin while recording and having more FPS then needet to play at 100%.

Undecided

Means my CPU isnt that weak and it sure can handle it