Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: RAM Drive experiance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Maybe some of you had tried\ know this already, but I will open the subject anyway for everyone benefits.

I had created a RAM drive to put both dolphin and the game ISO image on, but I had not noticed any speed up at all.

this is because dolphin is not limited by disk IO\ Access Speed, or Read\Write speed.

however I am just wondering how can developers take advantage of ram drives if any?

or if I am missing something here
(07-12-2011, 07:23 AM)razor1911 Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe some of you had tried\ know this already, but I will open the subject anyway for everyone benefits.

I had created a RAM drive to put both dolphin and the game ISO image on, but I had not noticed any speed up at all.

this is because dolphin is not limited by disk IO\ Access Speed, or Read\Write speed.

however I am just wondering how can developers take advantage of ram drives if any?

are you really razor1911 or just a poser, if you are then you are my idol Big Grin...(cuz you know... i can test games before i buy)
(07-12-2011, 07:23 AM)razor1911 Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe some of you had tried\ know this already, but I will open the subject anyway for everyone benefits.

hdd and dvd reading speed are more than enough for wii games...
i could play some games via usb1.1 on the ps2 Big Grin
and usb1.1 is really creppy

(07-12-2011, 11:50 AM)MaxBurnout1200 Wrote: [ -> ]

are you really razor1911 or just a poser, if you are then you are my idol Big Grin...(cuz you know... i can test games before i buy)

I can guess here but to be honest I don't want to know...
Reloaded>Razor Big Grin
HDD is already like 100 times faster than a Wii DVD drive. Unless that ISO is fragmenated out the wazoo you're saving seconds at best.
Using a ramdisk should not improve gamespeed, if you thought that then you should have your head examined. Of course you already explained why that is perfectly:
Quote:this is because dolphin is not limited by disk IO\ Access Speed, or Read\Write speed.

Using a ramdisk may improve load times if you have dolphin set to use immediate loading rather than native loading speed (in game properties, I forget what the option is called but that's what it does). It may also, in some rare cases, help reduce "hiccups" or "stutters" that occur when lots of data is loaded into memory during gameplay (which almost never happens). So it's mostly useless.
(07-12-2011, 04:59 PM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]

hdd and dvd reading speed are more than enough for wii games...
i could play some games via usb1.1 on the ps2 Big Grin
and usb1.1 is really creppy

(07-13-2011, 06:37 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Using a ramdisk should not improve gamespeed, if you thought that then you should have your head examined. Of course you already explained why that is perfectly:
Quote:this is because dolphin is not limited by disk IO\ Access Speed, or Read\Write speed.

Using a ramdisk may improve load times if you have dolphin set to use immediate loading rather than native loading speed (in game properties, I forget what the option is called but that's what it does). It may also, in some rare cases, help reduce "hiccups" or "stutters" that occur when lots of data is loaded into memory during gameplay (which almost never happens). So it's mostly useless.

spot on, thats what I thought as well.

I am getting a lot of interesting results using ram drive, benchmarks are shooting through the roof 10 times faster than my SSD (3GBytes/Second) and dont get me started on IOP

however this is limited by windows drivers so I bet it can be much faster.

I am using an application that allows me to swap what I want in ram drive quickly, resizing it etc.
do bear in mind that everyone has already said that a standard DVD drive speed is adequate enough for running games on Dolphin.

the only time i ever needed a RAM disk was for video editing. last time i checked, Dolphin wasn't a competitor to Adobe Premiere Pro
there is no need for ramdisk and dolphin, but i use it just to save 1 or 2 sec sometimes, but really is not needed

but for video capture works perfect, zero frame loss