Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Setting a resolution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
so unless i'm blind, we have to manually set the resolution we want to play in by dragging the window to make it bigger/smaller, right? i'm using r7673 and i can't find a place to type in the screen resolution i want to play in anymore. if that was removed, i'm wondering why it was. much more convenient than have to drag out a window size.
Why do you want to specify a certain fixed window size?
just because i actually like to know what resolution i'm playing at, and that if i want to change resolutions, i change it to another standard resolution such as 1024x768, 800x600, etc. i think that option should have been kept, you could still manually resize your window with that.
in the Dolphin folders

\User\Config\Dolphin.ini

look for:
RenderWindowWidth = x
RenderWindowHeight = y

change x and y to the resolution you want
(07-06-2011, 07:04 AM)NeoBrain Wrote: [ -> ]While I was planning to reintroduce the option, I REALLY doubt you have any idea of what output resolution the game is using (which you NEED to know if you don't want to "deform" the image). Hint: It neither is the internal resolution nor the display resolution nor the window size. Still think you need to be able to adjust the window size manually? Just resize the damn window however you like and be done..

Similar logic applies to your case :/
(07-12-2011, 04:36 AM)silveruniverse Wrote: [ -> ]in the Dolphin folders

\User\Config\Dolphin.ini

look for:
RenderWindowWidth = x
RenderWindowHeight = y

change x and y to the resolution you want

thanks.

(07-12-2011, 05:17 AM)NeoBrain Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-06-2011, 07:04 AM)NeoBrain Wrote: [ -> ]While I was planning to reintroduce the option, I REALLY doubt you have any idea of what output resolution the game is using (which you NEED to know if you don't want to "deform" the image). Hint: It neither is the internal resolution nor the display resolution nor the window size. Still think you need to be able to adjust the window size manually? Just resize the damn window however you like and be done..

Similar logic applies to your case :/

i don't quite understand you here. maybe because i'm stupid, but whatever. if you're saying that this option can screw up the output of games, then i really don't understand you. the way i see it, this option is technically still here, because you can specify a certain window size in the .ini silveruniverse mentioned, but it's just not in the GUI. i've never heard anything about large or small window sizes messing with the output of games, considering some people play at 1920x1080, and if you play at a unreasonably small resolution like 200x200, then that's your fault.
You might've wanted to follow the quotation link to see what message I was replying to; when I wrote this I couldn't be bothered to explain it again so I just copied the text Tongue

The point is: If you have a window size of 800x600, that doesn't mean that the game will actually be rendered at 800x600. Also, the resolution the game is rendered at isn't necessarily the actual OUTPUT resolution (and that one, in turn, still isn't always 800x600). Both the internal and the output resolution depend upon a number of settings (crop, aspect ratio, internal resolution, antialiasing, ...) and thus an end user generally doesn't really have a good reason to pixel-perfectly adjust the render window size.
ok, that makes sense now. Smile

so the resolution the game is rendered at is changed around due to settings such as anti-aliasing, then the output resolution is resized to fit the window size, right? so that means the window size does not necessarily affect quality or performance, so a large window is just a large window, and a small window is just a small window.
Kinda. You might still end up decreasing quality if the ratio between output resolution and window size is too strange due to various rasterization effects etc.

The best thing to do is just using the "auto size window" option (idk what it's called in recent revisions). That will always use the output resolution as the window size (which probably is what you want).

i just leave my window size at 1280x720, and set the internal resolution to 960x792 (1.5x native). i'm guessing that means dolphin renders at 960x792 and then stretches it to 1280x720? anyway, doing so makes dolphin run a lot faster for me, and notice a 1% difference in appearance. Big Grin