Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Newbie question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi Guys

Im new to dolphin so excuse me if it has been asked a 1000 times but im frustrated

Just built as new media centre PC with the following

AMD X4 Phenom II 840 Quad core 3.2Ghz
Asus M4A88T-M Motherboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
4GB Corsair Vengence 1600mhz Ram
DVD rom
Onboard graphics (ATI Radeon HD 4250)

On my old systems which was a dual core 2.2ghz system with onboard graphics I was gett 8fps in new super mario Brothers

With the new system Im getting a still pathetic 15fps

I have tried all the tweaks and tuneups suggested on the forums but it still wavers between 15-18fps

Obviosly on board graphics dont cut it at all

Can I have a suggestion for a dedicated graphics card that will play NSMB at a reasonable rate

Was thinking of the Sapphire HD 5450 1GB DDR3 HDMI which I can get for 40 quid Any good

Wambaugh
Im on a tight budget so I dont want to spend hundreds
(07-09-2011, 03:33 AM)wambaugh Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Guys

Im new to dolphin so excuse me if it has been asked a 1000 times but im frustrated

Just built as new media centre PC with the following

AMD X4 Phenom II 840 Quad core 3.2Ghz
Asus M4A88T-M Motherboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
4GB Corsair Vengence 1600mhz Ram
DVD rom
Onboard graphics (ATI Radeon HD 4250)

On my old systems which was a dual core 2.2ghz system with onboard graphics I was gett 8fps in new super mario Brothers

With the new system Im getting a still pathetic 15fps

I have tried all the tweaks and tuneups suggested on the forums but it still wavers between 15-18fps

Obviosly on board graphics dont cut it at all

Can I have a suggestion for a dedicated graphics card that will play NSMB at a reasonable rate

Was thinking of the Sapphire HD 5450 1GB DDR3 HDMI which I can get for 40 quid Any good

Wambaugh
Im on a tight budget so I dont want to spend hundreds

Yep not that bad if you got small budget
Thanks

Does anyone have mario working at a decent frame rate with a simialr system if so what card do you have

Thanks

Wambaugh
(07-09-2011, 06:10 PM)wambaugh Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks

Does anyone have mario working at a decent frame rate with a simialr system if so what card do you have

Thanks

Wambaugh

Trust me, when it comes to emulators it mostly depends on the emulator and NOT on your system. Here's an example: I have an old 8800GT, I'm able to run Witcher 2 with most settings on ultra and get 40 fps, I'm able to run DiRT3 on highest settings and get 50 to 60 fps, I'm able to run Crysis 2 on ultra settings and get 40 to 50 fps. And there was a revision when I was able to run New Super Mario Bross. on 60 fps...with the new revision however the fps is stuck on 15 to 25. Go figure.... Sleepy
(07-09-2011, 07:15 PM)Amarganth Wrote: [ -> ]Trust me, when it comes to emulators it mostly depends on the emulator and NOT on your system. Here's an example: I have an old 8800GT, I'm able to run Witcher 2 with most settings on ultra and get 40 fps, I'm able to run DiRT3 on highest settings and get 50 to 60 fps, I'm able to run Crysis 2 on ultra settings and get 40 to 50 fps. And there was a revision when I was able to run New Super Mario Bross. on 60 fps...with the new revision however the fps is stuck on 15 to 25. Go figure.... Sleepy

bad examples. an emulator runs differently from normal PC games so you can't use them as a comparison
I understand emulators run different than PC games I get 60fps on most new pc games but is the point about different revisions valid if so which one has anyone found to run super mario bros at decent rate

Thanks

Wambaugh
All the video cards you wrote are very bad even for pc games. And that is the main culprit. Otherwise lower the internal resolution to 1x or lower and bear with the bad quality.
(07-10-2011, 06:32 PM)wambaugh Wrote: [ -> ]I understand emulators run different than PC games I get 60fps on most new pc games but is the point about different revisions valid if so which one has anyone found to run super mario bros at decent rate

Thanks

Wambaugh

Emulators do run differently than pc games, I've yet to find that as a valid excuse though.

Try out revision 7669, it works great for me. Otherwise try out revision 6515 (it is said to be the fastest dolphin revision of them all).
Thank you Amarganth for pointing me in the right direction Its very easy to be negative like some people here but I am grateful

I now have NSMB running at 60fps using revision 7357

You just saved me 40quid

Thanks

Wambaugh
(07-10-2011, 07:20 PM)wambaugh Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you Amarganth for pointing me in the right direction Its very easy to be negative like some people here but I am grateful

I now have NSMB running at 60fps using revision 7357

You just saved me 40quid

Thanks

Wambaugh

No problem. Another thing to remember: This may sound stupid but if an internet browser is open for me than the fps goes down. No idea why but as soon as I close the browser (be it IE, Opera or Firefox) I get 15 to 30 fps gain. And unticking "RAM" in "EFB copis" gives you more fps at times. Hope it helps.

Pages: 1 2