Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: .mpo screenshots
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys. So, I'm a completely ignorant when we talk about the development of the emulator and even more about what I'm about to request, but I want to clear my doubts.

Do you think you can get the emulator to take screenshots? Not regular screenshots, 3D screenshots in .mpo format, the one used by the Nintendo 3DS. I'm asking to you since you were the ones that added that 3D mode a while ago, so, maybe you would know how to get this. I know it won't improve the emulator, but it would be a nice extra.

(or if you know how to make .mpo images by my self and you want to tell me, that would be nice too since Google didn't answer my questions...)
the MPO part might be going overboard (but awesome)

however, just creating 2 JPG's is enough to make a MPO yourself using some tools i have somewhere on my pc Tongue

resolution should also be no problem depending where the screenshot is taken from (the 3DS doesn't display images > 640x480)

in the past ive taken some screenshots using the free look stuff, but some games have a gay interface (*COUGH*PSO*COUGH*)

i would actually like this but its been to long since i actually looked at the dolphin source to do it D:<

EDIT : o and btw, google didn't tell you the answer since you dont kow what to look for. the MPO's exist of 1 special JPG, stereoscopic JPG's . these special JPG's are just what they sound. 2 JPG's next to each other. iirc stereophoto maker works just fine to create the images you want (the JPG's and MPO)
First of all, thanks for resolution limit data, I didn't know about that and I was wondering why my 3DS wouldn't read some of my images.

The idea being overboard is something I considered, but, you know, I had to give the shot Tongue Since the emulator can render a kind of 3D (which is not the same the 3DS does), I thought it wouldn't imply too much work to be added; and it would be a sort of introduction of Dolphin into the "new generation" (?).

You seem be pretty well informed, I will try Stereophoto Maker and maybe ask a few questions later. Thank you.

EDIT: ok, time for a question Tongue Can I actually get a 3D image from a screenshot? Do I need the images (left and right to be different just like they are different when you take a pic with the 3DS camera?
i didn't say the idea was overboard, i just said that saving it as MPO might be overboard depending on how open source the file format really is.
its easier to save 2 JPG's and do the rest manually

anyway, you need 2 screenshots to make a 3D image. one for the left eye and one for the right, meaning you need to take a screenshot(left eye), move everything slightly to the left and take a new screenshot(right eye)
then you need to open both screenshots in a photo editor like photoshop and crop them so there is a centre that is aligned. then save the 2 cropped images and use the stereophoto maker to create the MPO.

does that make any sense or do you want me to show it in screenshots?

also, the reason i know about this is because i looked into it back in march when i got my 3DS and cause im following the 3DS scene a bit
the only thing you wont be able to do is realign the images on the 3DS like you can do with 3DS native MPOs. i dont know why cause im to lazy to investigate Wink
I sort of get what you wrote. I haven't used photoshop programs in depth, but I think it isn't as hard as it may sound. I have an open source photoshop program that's called Gimp, I used it no more than 5 times, but I think I can handle it. Just one question: when you say "move everything", you mean I have to crop every object separately? That would be a little tedious, wouldn't it?

So, thanks again for the information and I'll report my results if I get something.
Please do, it sounds pretty interesting and it would be cool to see how it would look.
http://byuu.org/bsnes/legacy-formats
That thing came to my mind (once again) when reading this. And don't tell me .mpo isn't a "legacy format", the same logic applies anyway (mostly).
(07-11-2011, 12:01 AM)NeoBrain Wrote: [ -> ]http://byuu.org/bsnes/legacy-formats
That thing came to my mind (once again) when reading this. And don't tell me .mpo isn't a "legacy format", the same logic applies anyway (mostly).

That guy byuu, he truly master the art of the writing.
You really spend the entire time reading his stuff properly not missing a single word.
Unlike other chums I have stumbled on recently that makes you want to puke after one sentence.

A lot of what byuu writes makes very much sense.
I think I will have to delete my request.
I've been trying to make an .mpo image for testing what Daco posted before and my conclusion is that it isn't as easy as I thought. I asked him about whether you need to move certain objects (the ones you want to look 3D) or not, and the answer is: yes, you do. I've tried with simply cutting out a part of the image the way I'm showing in the image I will post (top: image used, bottom: what I did to it; I used bigger images, the posted are resized), but I didn't get a 3D effect. Curiously, I got to use the stick like if it was a photo from the 3D camera. That's why I retire my request, I would be asking you to invent a program that doesn't exist yet, or maybe it does, but only for making crappy movies like Clash Of Titans look even worse.

Anyway, if you want to move this thread up to Delfino Plaza so we can keep discussing about 3D images and the 3DS, go ahead.
I know how to convert videos into 3D, but not pictures Sad
Pages: 1 2