Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: LLE speed - Skies of Arcadia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Tiay

Hi! Heart

I've been trying to get Skies of Arcadia working on a playable level, but it seems that the sound issue hasn't been fixed for ages looking at the amount of similiar posts.

Going via the tips I dumped le DSP and the audio seems to be perfect, but the huge problem is speed. I have a edible rig (i3-540@4ghz - 4gb hyperx - radeon 6870) which under normal circumstances easily throttles to 300%+ speeds.

When using LLE I have serious speed troubles. The game boots, menu music, splash video is great. All full FPS. When I pick New Game and the intro cinematic starts to play, the moment the Imperial ship shows up and the music starts playing I get a drop to 60% of speed, and it won't budge.

Is LLE really that slow it kills a 300% to 1/5 of it's speed, or am I missing something I could do boost it?
SoA is incredible in HD, but with the sound issues on HLE it's just unplayable.

Thanks in advance for any tips!
Did you try "LLE on thread"?
LLE IS much slower than HLE, yes...unfortunately.

Tiay

@ExtremeDude2: Thank you, yes, it didn't change the speed even one bit unfortunately.

I'm surprised that audio emulation can gobble up such incredible amounts of CPU power, I don't know wether to think it's a problem in the way the LLE engine is written or it's just that complicated and only a stronger CPU is the solution.

There is no way to fix the audio via HLE I gather correctly?
Unfortunately a better CPU is to prefer when it comes to LLE emulation since it's 99.99% perfect in terms of sound emulation.
Tiay: I did some profiling on that part and it looked like there is huge dsp load.
For example... normal games have like 6MIO dsp_get_long_acc()/sec while at that part there was 15MIO /sec while game was running @20%.
Another thing was unusually high % of opcodes being executed inside IROM.

This is similar to other games ("they have missing notes/instruments in HLE") like
- Tales Of Symphonia
- Mario Golf Toadstool Tour

Tiay

Thanks for the info, so it looks like it's the game itself. I noticed that when the music has little instruments, 100% speed is easy to achieve, whenever it becomes more 'orchestral' and many notes are played, slowdowns occur. Midi-stylish I guess.

Any chance the chopiness/missing notes can be fixed in HLE, or it's been long abandoned?
Abandoned? I don't know but don't expect too much... As it was already said the best solution is LLE (for that game at least...)
I think HLE might get canned someday but not for a very long time.
You'll want perfect sound you use LLE anyway, for me HLE is as good as forgotten.