Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: I am considering purchasing this laptop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
But I am wondering if it will be capable of playing Wind Waker at full speed or if I need to go higher

here is the spec

Intel Core i7-Q740 1.73ghz
6gb DDR3 Memory
500gb Sata Hard Drive
14.0" Widescreen HD WLED Glossy Display with TrueLife (1366x768)
8x Dual layer DVDRW
Nvidia Geforce GT 425m/2048 dedicated video card
1.3MP Integrated Webcam
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 Wireless card
Sounds like a Sony Vaio that I own . . .

No it will not run at full speed. For Wind Waker, probably 2.6GHz should be enough (Don't rely too much on Turbo Boost btw)?
ok ill keep searching, I have in the past bought laptops that "sound good" but then fail to deliver so i'm choosing carefully this time
I can't speak for Wind Walker specifically, but I've spent a lot of time on Laptops running Dolphin this past 3 weeks.

First generation laptop i7 is not going to run games full speed. I doubt Wii Sports Bowling will even run at full speed.

You can count on the turbo of the 2nd generation. I recommend a 2.2Ghz, the turbo should kick in to 3.2Ghz with Dolphin. Mine is going to be here Friday. I tried a 2.0Ghz 2nd gen, it turbos to 2.8Ghz... but that isn't proving enough for Dolphin. Games like Punch Out! lag too much for me.
(07-06-2011, 12:17 PM)Infern0 Wrote: [ -> ]ok ill keep searching, I have in the past bought laptops that "sound good" but then fail to deliver so i'm choosing carefully this time

Look for a "good" i5 it will do the job... Wink
It sure is harder to find good Laptops then assemble your own desktop with the parts you self have chosen.
You'll have to do some serious investigation and maybe visit some stores trying some laptops, getting some information.
Buying something that turned out to be worthless afterwards is something of the most annoying things you can do.

You're doing right in taking the time it needs to find one.