Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Enable Block Merging?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What's the use of it? It's in Properties' options and I have never used it? did someone use it? In which game?
A friend of mine saw it enabled by default with Donkey Kong Country Returns and the game didn't work at all with it enabled so he deleted the default setting in the GameConfig ini altogether.
Me and him have no clue of what it does.
I wondered if this option was really useful? just curiosity since I have never used it Wink maybe a dev could light my fire...
Depending on the game it could increase or decrease performance. For most games that I have seen it either increases performance or has no noticable effect. The option should not break anything.

JUST A GUESS: I think the option changes the way code blocks in the JIT cache are managed (blocks of executable x86 code made by recompiling PPC opcodes).
It really depends on the game.

BIG speedup with no side effects in DKCR and several other Wii titles, especially when using the D3D11 backend.

In other games it gives a tiny speedup or no speedup at all.

Experiment with this option. If you don't see a difference in performance, it's better to leave it at the default setting.

-------------------------

The 'Accurate VBeam emulation' option has a similar effect on performance.

Some Wii games get a big speed boost, but with some of them you'll get nothing but increased stuttering.

[EDIT] Do *NOT* enable this option for GC games (unless you enjoy watching slideshows Big Grin)