Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Overclocked i3 performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Will this processor and graphics card be able to play games like donkey kong and mario galaxy full speed most of the time or all the time? Because I have just bought it and won't know what the performance is like to Monday!

i3-540 overclocked to 4.4ghz
Ati Radeon 5770 1gb
1TB Seagate hard drive
650W OCZ power supply

If you need any more specs just ask?
With HLE plugin : Yes
With LLE Plugin : idk (may be playable,not fullspeed)
(07-02-2011, 01:06 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]With HLE plugin : Yes
With LLE Plugin : idk (may be playable,not fullspeed)

Hopefully I can play split screen Mario Kart full speed as well! That would be brilliant!
i don't know how much performance gap between i3-540 @4.4Ghz would be compared to i5 2500K (quad core doesn't matter since it use only 2 core for dolphin anyway)

but @4.2GHz, my i5 2500K, i can play 2 player mario kart wii just fine. full speed 60 FPS, 60VPS 100% speed
with dolphin 3.0 all setting default, nothing is changed, except using openGL backend @2x native res (8x CSAA and 16xaniso) and with DSP LLE plugin

you can always optimise / changed setting to get extra performance if you need some

out of curiosity, why choose older i3 ? not sandy bridge i3 ? (i3 2100 or i3 2120)

edit : btw, as comparison mario galaxy 2 run smoothly on mine with DSP LLE, i don't know about galaxy 1, cmiiw, but they roughly about the same, right ?
(07-02-2011, 02:46 AM)setya5785 Wrote: [ -> ]i don't know how much performance gap between i3-540 @4.4Ghz would be compared to i5 2500K (quad core doesn't matter since it use only 2 core for dolphin anyway)

but @4.2GHz, my i5 2500K, i can play 2 player mario kart wii just fine. full speed 60 FPS, 60VPS 100% speed
with dolphin 3.0 all setting default, nothing is changed, except using openGL backend @2x native res (8x CSAA and 16xaniso) and with DSP LLE plugin

you can always optimise / changed setting to get extra performance if you need some

out of curiosity, why choose older i3 ? not sandy bridge i3 ? (i3 2100 or i3 2120)

edit : btw, as comparison mario galaxy 2 run smoothly on mine with DSP LLE, i don't know about galaxy 1, cmiiw, but they roughly about the same, right ?

I'll be honest I chose the old i3 because I saw it cheap and overclocked. I have a q9650 in my other pc but I don't want to overclock that because it did have a previous owner as well, that is why I bought a whole new pc overclocked. Anyway I can't wait for it to come now!
you can get i3 2120 + H61/67 mobo + DDR3 for less than $300, but yes, it's quite unfortunate that i3 sandy bridge can't be overclocked, not even the 4x multiplier (for non K series i5/i7 sandy bridge) since it doesn't have turbo boost Smile

did you buy it already overclocked (i kinda get that you meant to said that) or did you intent to OC it by yourself?
don't forget to get aftermarket cooler for that, teh fairly cheap hyper212+ would do just fine ( i use this my self)

i wish you a very good luck and satisfaction with your new rig, and have fun playing
(07-02-2011, 03:27 AM)setya5785 Wrote: [ -> ]you can get i3 2120 + H61/67 mobo + DDR3 for less than $300, but yes, it's quite unfortunate that i3 sandy bridge can't be overclocked, not even the 4x multiplier (for non K series i5/i7 sandy bridge) since it doesn't have turbo boost Smile

did you buy it already overclocked (i kinda get that you meant to said that) or did you intent to OC it by yourself?
don't forget to get aftermarket cooler for that, teh fairly cheap hyper212+ would do just fine ( i use this my self)

i wish you a very good luck and satisfaction with your new rig, and have fun playing

I live in UK so things are a bit more expensive here. It has already been overclocked so I guess the person knew what they were doing as they have 100% positive feedback. I dont know how to overclock anyway. Yeah hope it does what I wanted.
@setya5785

Can you lower your CPU speed by 100 Mhz each time and retest Mario Galaxy 2 LLE and Mario Kart split screen each time until one of the both games doesnt get constant 60 FPS anymore?

Just wanna know if a I3 2120 Sandy Bridge is enough to run all games at full speed.
i set my 2500K at stock (3.3GHz) and disable turbo boost.
now should be somewhat similiar to your case, although you might need to factor that there might be some diference in performance between i3 and i5 (except core number, since it doesn' matter in dolphin)

mario galaxy 2 => tested on mario "face" ship area. playing around, riding yoshi, eating plant.
got 52-55 FPS, when things get wacky, and lots of effect/action, dip around 47-48

mario kart wii
tested single player on liugi's circuit
smooth 60 FPS, sometime few drop in FPS, but still in normal range (2-3 fps drop)

when tested on 2 player split screen (since no one arround, 2nd player only stood there on starting line)
FPS varied beteen 45-55. on some occasion i can get smooth 60FPS

all using DSP LLE and mostly default dolphin 3.0 setting (no setting tweak for performance)

so, i3 2120 is adequate. might need some tweaking here and there if you want to use LLE
Sandy Bridge CPU is about 400Mhz faster than old i series
3.8Ghz i3 540 can beat 3.3Ghz i3 2120
But if you raise i3 2120 multipler (in bios) , the result might be different
Pages: 1 2