Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Cheat Engine and Dolphin *solution inside*
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Been using Dolphin for a few days now, games run great on it and I've had no real problems with it so far. I've been wondering if there was any way to search/edit the memory of games with Cheat Engine. The threads I have read seemed inconclusive at best, some saying it wouldn't work in the 64 bit version, some said it required you to use a Little Endian search method which CE does not support. Even then, those threads were also fairly old posts so I'm not sure how much things have changed. I'm aware that Dolphin has its own built in cheat search tool, but it is clunky and oftentimes doesn't really work that well if at all (the AR codes tab is also kind of awkward to use in that you can't change the values once you add them unless you re-enter the code...unless I'm missing something). Running it in debug mode (dolphin.exe -d or /d) seemed like an option but again, the memory view is not as robust as Cheat Engine and some games just don't seem to run in it at all.

I am familiar with using Cheat Engine to edit values and have done so in several other games and emulators, so I'm at least somewhat confident it's not a user error. Tongue

Relevant specs/information that might help solve any problems:
Using Dolphin 3.0 x64 on Windows 7 64-bit
Processor: Intel i7 930
9gb RAM
Radeon HD 5800 series (not sure if it's a 5850 or 5870 but it has 1gb GDDR5 and supports DX11)

Thanks for any help, sorry if this has been answered somewhere.
You usually want to get the pointer to the beginning of the main RAM (or MEM1) region. Personally, using MHS (Memory Hacking Software), I do it this way:

- Open Dolphin, right-click the desired game and click Properties.
- Memorize the internal game ID, or at least its first four characters (for example, Mario Party 4 [PAL] has the ID "GMPP01").
- Launch the desired game in Dolphin, and wait for emulation to be initialized.
- Have MHS attach to the Dolphin process. I make sure that MHS is allowed to search in the "MEM_MAPPED" (a tickable "General Search" option) memory ranges, if I ever want to see good results...
- In MHS, I perform an ASCII string search (aligned on 4 bytes, matching case) for the internal game ID found earlier. I'd usually advise searching in the [00000000..20000000] range in x86 RAM, unless there's a memory leak or something else...
- Once the search is finished, I only retain the found addresses that end with "0000" -- Dolphin allocates 0x02000000 bytes for MEM1, and in all cases the pointer is found to be aligned this way.
- If I get two (usually consecutive) valid addresses distanced by at least 0x02000000, then I pick one of them, usually the first one -- both pointers should be valid and pointing at the same allocation... Thus, if I poke data from one pointer using MHS's Hex Editor, these changes should also be visible on the other memory map (other pointer)...
(be careful when it comes to hacking Wii games, as there's another (bigger) MEM2 allocation that's 0x04000000 bytes long! The data to poke/hack may sometimes be inside in this allocation, like in Harry Potter HBP)

From here, if I want to find a static pointer (valid for a specific build only), I perform a Pointer Search which targets the found address/pointer, then I pick the first result that appears in green in MHS (which I assume is static in Dolphin.exe). Finally, the [Dolphin.exe + 0x???????] combination [color=#00BFFF](wherein ??????? is the found address minus the location of Dolphin.exe in memory)[/color] is the static pointer for this build -- personally, I note that down in MHS scripts. [color=#00BFFF](MHS should be able to store the "static offset" combination right away when you add the pointer to the results' list -- then you can save a ".lssave" file containing the found static pointer.)[/color]

Anyway, the downside of MHS is that it apparently isn't able to read 16bit/32bit data in "big endian" byte order instead of "little endian" ; this makes "greater/lower than" data searches inefficient [color=#00BFFF](unless you do it with single bytes)[/color], and requires byte-swapping all 16bit/32bit data to be read or written (for "equal/not equal to" data searches)... However, MHS has a quite functional "Hex Editor" tool and the ability to use scripts which I made (and can be called using hotkeys)... I wonder if "Cheat Engine" is more functional? I haven't tried it yet, it seems to be open source...

Hopefully all the info I posted helps. Have fun reading Tongue
(06-30-2011, 09:24 PM)Dimitri Wrote: [ -> ]Thus, if I poke data from one pointer using MHS's Hex Editor, these changes should also be visible on the other memory map (other pointer)...
(be careful when it comes to hacking Wii games, as there's another (bigger) MEM2 allocation that's 0x04000000 bytes long! The data to poke/hack may sometimes be inside in this allocation, like in Harry Potter HBP)

From here, if I want to find a static pointer (valid for a specific build only), I perform a Pointer Search which targets the found address/pointer, then I pick the first result that appears in green in MHS (which I assume is static in Dolphin.exe). Finally, the [Dolphin.exe + 0x???????] combination is the static pointer for this build -- personally, I note that down in MHS scripts.

Anyway, the downside of MHS is that it apparently isn't able to read 16bit/32bit data in "big endian" byte order instead of "little endian" ; this makes "greater/lower than" data searches inefficient, and requires byte-swapping all 16bit/32bit data to be read or written (for "equal/not equal to" data searches)

First, thanks for the reply!

Second...I think these parts are where you lose me...or rather, I lose you Tongue. I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to pointers, so forgive me for being a bit clueless. I follow you up to finding the address of the pointer through an ASCII string search of the game ID, I get 4~5 addresses and only one ending in 0000, which I add to the address list/main window. Am I supposed to be able to right click it and open it in the hex editor window? That's just causing the MHS program to lock up. I can attach the debugger to Dolphin and find what writes to/accesses the pointer just fine though. I'm editing Wii games if it makes any difference.

As for the static pointer I assume that's just a quality of life thing so I wouldn't have to search for the game ID to get the pointer each time I wanted to edit the game's memory (so long as I use the same SVN of Dolphin)? Again, kind of a newbie here so sorry if my question is a bit obvious, I just want to make sure I've got the right idea. It seems easy enough to find by just doing a Pointer Search->Exact Value->the address that I found with the game ID. That gave me two pointer address results with the value equal to the address of the game ID's string address, and I added the first one in green to the address list. Address. So say I get 0x0432A1F0. How do I use that to launch [Dolphin.exe + 0x0432A1F0]? I assume it's moreso that I do something to make MHS apply that pointer when it attaches to the program, but then what?

Basically it's just that I really don't "get" pointers, like what they mean/are or what to do with them after finding their address in the memory. My understanding of a pointer is that it is a more static approach to editing values (i.e. if you don't know the pointer then any time you re-open the program and want to edit a value in a game or some such you will have to rescan the memory and find the new address), so I think I'm missing how that translates to allowing the editing of the memory of games in Dolphin. Are there any sort of tutorials you would recommend to get some experience working with pointers and finding values from that? I'm not looking to do anything particularly difficult, just a simple money value edit that I didn't have any luck editing with the in-app cheat search tool. Thanks again for your help so far, hopefully I'll be able to learn a thing or two from you.

e: On second notice, Cheat Engine does have the option to search the MEM_MAPPED region. I'm a bit red in the face for not having noticed that, and that's probably why I've had no such luck using Cheat Engine to search for values. However narrowing values down is a bit odd. I was able to find 10 values that all consistently changed with the amount of money shown on screen, so there's definitely progress made from...scanning the right region of the memory. Changing them all at once to a different number caused them to change to something else entirely ingame, and for some reason they were stored as a byte but if I remember correctly that typically can only go up to 256 which seems a bit odd considering money can well exceed that value. You mentioned byte-swapping the number to get a proper value to search. Could that be my problem? If so do you have a particular program/calculator page you would recommend to swap the byte order? And how exactly should I go about swapping the byte order (for example if the ingame money amount is 2700, do I convert that to hexadecimal, then reverse it)? I seem to recall one user mentioning that he had to search for the remainder of the value (i.e. if he had 2700 he had to search for mod(2700,256) = 140).

e2: Success...almost. I was able to edit a low number, but it looks like I can only search for values stored as bytes this way. Through that method I'm able to flawlessly find any value as long as it's below 255. Problem is, changing the value to 2 or 4 byte makes it act erratically (changing the value type to something else like 2 byte or 4 byte still ends up capping at 255 i.e. changing it to 600 gives 88 because mod(600,256) = 88). Is this where I will need to do the byte swapping? Editing the regular byte type was simple and changed in an expected manner.

e3: Better. So I kinda figured it out again. Like you said I had to do some byte swapping to figure out how to get it to work with numbers larger than 255. Basically here's what I did for anyone curious:
1) Used a Big Endian<->Little Endian converter. http://darkfader.net/toolbox/convert/ is an online version you can use that is very useful.
2) Found the address for my money in byte form. This is somewhat optional.
3) Plug the amount of money I had in to the Big Endian decimal value box.
4) Searched for the Little Endian decimal equivalent under Unsigned Long. Having found the amount through step 2 helped in determining this number because I could just change it there, but changing it by buying/selling something isn't really that inconvenient.
5) Get the address for money in Unsigned Long form. It only took me one sub-search.
6) Plug desired amount of money in to Big Endian decimal value, change value of Unsigned Long money address to the Little Endian decimal value.
7) Profit!

One thing I noticed is that the byte value and Unsigned Long values were very very close to one another. The byte address was 0ECD058B whereas the Unsigned Long one was 0ECD0588. I'm sure browsing the memory region might have led to a faster search but it really didn't take all that long. I used MHS in the end but I'm sure that the Unsigned Long type correlates to one of the types Cheat Engine can search for (looks like it's 4 byte, just don't forget to search with the Little Endian number, not the Big Endian/display one). I suppose it all makes sense how I could only search for byte values with the properly displayed number because a byte flipped from Big to Little Endian is still the exact same. Thanks again for the helpful post, I'm glad someone was able to help me figure this out.
I am using MHS to do some editing with Biohazard 4. I have found a few useful memory addresses, but when I try and open the "hex editor" MHS crashes on me. Anyone have any ideas why? I can open the editor with other emulators with no problems, but Dolphin is iffy with it.

Am using Dolphin build 3.0-376 64bit and MHS5.009
(06-17-2012, 07:04 AM)SoulCal Wrote: [ -> ]I can open the editor with other emulators with no problems, but Dolphin is iffy with it.

Althalus (the OP) claimed to have had this problem as well, using a 64-bit OS and a 64-bit Dolphin build. Since MHS appears to be mostly focused on 32-bit (AFAIK), maybe this could be the problem.

Have you tried using a 32-bit build of Dolphin instead? The game might run slower this way, but you should be able to open the hex editor on this 32-bit process.
Alternatively, Cheat Engine might work for 64-bit Dolphin, since I think this hacking program comes with a 64-bit build as well.
(06-18-2012, 03:50 AM)Dimitri Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-17-2012, 07:04 AM)SoulCal Wrote: [ -> ]I can open the editor with other emulators with no problems, but Dolphin is iffy with it.
Have you tried using a 32-bit build of Dolphin instead? The game might run slower this way, but you should be able to open the hex editor on this 32-bit process.
Alternatively, Cheat Engine might work for 64-bit Dolphin, since I think this hacking program comes with a 64-bit build as well.
The problem with switching to a 32bit, or even a newer version, is that I am creating a dtm movie file and changing version desyncs the movie. So would this "cheat engine" software be a better solution to my problem?
(06-18-2012, 10:05 AM)SoulCal Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-18-2012, 03:50 AM)Dimitri Wrote: [ -> ]
The problem with switching to a 32bit, or even a newer version, is that I am creating a dtm movie file and changing version desyncs the movie. So would this "cheat engine" software be a better solution to my problem?
Cheat engine works great, i'd definitely recommend using that over mhs with dolphin. Have you actually tried 32 bit dolphin? It should still sync your movie fine, so long as it's the same/similar revision.
(06-18-2012, 03:55 PM)gjfklhg Wrote: [ -> ]Cheat engine works great, i'd definitely recommend using that over mhs with dolphin. Have you actually tried 32 bit dolphin? It should still sync your movie fine, so long as it's the same/similar revision.
The dtm file actually desyncs when I run 32bit with the same build number/revision.

I will try Cheat Engine then. What I want to use it for is to find things like boss HP, and try and manipulate enemies to drop large amounts of money. I found some useful addresses in MHS, but as long as I can locate and change addresses in Cheat Engine it should be fine.
(06-18-2012, 04:55 PM)SoulCal Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-18-2012, 03:55 PM)gjfklhg Wrote: [ -> ]Cheat engine works great, i'd definitely recommend using that over mhs with dolphin. Have you actually tried 32 bit dolphin? It should still sync your movie fine, so long as it's the same/similar revision.
The dtm file actually desyncs when I run 32bit with the same build number/revision.

I will try Cheat Engine then. What I want to use it for is to find things like boss HP, and try and manipulate enemies to drop large amounts of money. I found some useful addresses in MHS, but as long as I can locate and change addresses in Cheat Engine it should be fine.

Oh, I see. Feel free to use Cheat Engine for your purposes, then. I recently installed it to try it out (and I spent time completing all 9 steps of the tutorial). Plenty of advanced functionality, it seems, though the tutorial doesn't cover them all.

Remember to tick the "MEM_MAPPED" memory region option (in the "Scan Settings" tab of the Cheat Engine settings window, Edit->Settings) so you can search Dolphin's emulated RAM.

GompinBoy

(06-30-2011, 09:24 PM)Dimitri Wrote: [ -> ]You usually want to get the pointer to the beginning of the main RAM (or MEM1) region. Personally, using MHS (Memory Hacking Software), I do it this way:

- Open Dolphin, right-click the desired game and click Properties.
- Memorize the internal game ID, or at least its first four characters (for example, Mario Party 4 [PAL] has the ID "GMPP01").
- Launch the desired game in Dolphin, and wait for emulation to be initialized.
- Have MHS attach to the Dolphin process. I make sure that MHS is allowed to search in the "MEM_MAPPED" (a tickable "General Search" option) memory ranges, if I ever want to see good results...
- In MHS, I perform an ASCII string search (aligned on 4 bytes, matching case) for the internal game ID found earlier. I'd usually advise searching in the [00000000..20000000] range in x86 RAM, unless there's a memory leak or something else...
- Once the search is finished, I only retain the found addresses that end with "0000" -- Dolphin allocates 0x02000000 bytes for MEM1, and in all cases the pointer is found to be aligned this way.
- If I get two (usually consecutive) valid addresses distanced by at least 0x02000000, then I pick one of them, usually the first one -- both pointers should be valid and pointing at the same allocation... Thus, if I poke data from one pointer using MHS's Hex Editor, these changes should also be visible on the other memory map (other pointer)...

From here, if I want to find a static pointer (valid for a specific build only), I perform a Pointer Search which targets the found address/pointer, then I pick the first result that appears in green in MHS (which I assume is static in Dolphin.exe). Finally, the [Dolphin.exe + 0x???????] combination [color=#00BFFF](wherein ??????? is the found address minus the location of Dolphin.exe in memory)[/color] is the static pointer for this build -- personally, I note that down in MHS scripts. [color=#00BFFF](MHS should be able to store the "static offset" combination right away when you add the pointer to the results' list -- then you can save a ".lssave" file containing the found static pointer.)[/color]

Anyway, the downside of MHS is that it apparently isn't able to read 16bit/32bit data in "big endian" byte order instead of "little endian" ; this makes "greater/lower than" data searches inefficient [color=#00BFFF](unless you do it with single bytes)[/color], and requires byte-swapping all 16bit/32bit data to be read or written (for "equal/not equal to" data searches)... However, MHS has a quite functional "Hex Editor" tool and the ability to use scripts which I made (and can be called using hotkeys)... I wonder if "Cheat Engine" is more functional? I haven't tried it yet, it seems to be open source...

Hopefully all the info I posted helps. Have fun reading Tongue
Pages: 1 2