Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Best route to improve performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here are my specs:

AMD Phenom II 975 overclocked to 4 GHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM
2 ATI Radeon HD 5750
Linux Mint 10 64-bit

I want to play most games almost perfectly. A small fps drop here and there doesn't bother me, but playing Twilight Princess in hyrule field I only get 25 fps which is really unplayable for me. I feel like I have hit the top with my CPU, and I am sure my memory is sufficient. Would getting a better video card really improve performance? I know that dolphin mainly uses the CPU, yet going from a geforce 430 to a 5750 greatly increases performance, so I am really not sure if I should go spend 200 dollars on a new card or not. Any advice will help, thanks!

Also, is there any way for dolphin to utilize CrossFire in linux?
(06-29-2011, 09:03 AM)cteeto Wrote: [ -> ]Also, is there any way for dolphin to utilize CrossFire in linux?

Even if there is (not saying there isn't) dolphin cant use 2 gpu's
(06-29-2011, 09:03 AM)cteeto Wrote: [ -> ]AMD Phenom II 975 overclocked to 4 GHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM
2 ATI Radeon HD 5750
Linux Mint 10 64-bit

Also, is there any way for dolphin to utilize CrossFire in linux?

you are using Linux and so OpenGL?
try windows 7 64bit with directX9 its 10-30% faster
(06-29-2011, 09:03 AM)cteeto Wrote: [ -> ]Also, is there any way for dolphin to utilize CrossFire in linux?

Yes, newer releases of fgrlx do support CrossFire even under linux; however, I doubt you'll get any usuable feedback here. You might want to ask in the Phoronix forums (or try to figure it out yourself, you'll probably want to read the aticonfig help).
I will never, ever use Windows again, so that is not a real option for me. I'm not so worried about the CrossFire support, but would buying a better video card like lets say a 6900 series or a 5800 series give me that extra "upf"?
No, using Windows, overclocking that cpu or buying a better system with a better cpu would. Or, if this only happens in the Hyrule Field area, just live with it till you pass it.
So I am curious, does the GPU effect dolphin at all?
unless you turn on ssaa or max the resolution, no.
directX is the holy grail for linux and mac user Wink
Anyway if your only prob is low fps in Hyrule Field you don't have to worry it's normal Wink What performances do you get in other games?
Pages: 1 2