Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Help! I'm a super newb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

skyliner33

Hey guys.

I recently got an itch to finish play the new (new to me anyways) zelda games. (my last one was majoras mask lol).

Here is my situation, I have a macbook, and here are my specs:

2.26 ghz intel core 2 duo processor

2 gb ram ddr3

OSX Snow leopard 10.6.4

and here are the graphics card specs:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0863
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3462
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:

I have searched and tinkered like crazy to try to play twilight princess on the newest mac version of dolphin, and I also found advice that suggested I should play it on a natively run windows 7 instead.

My question is, is there anyway I can keep it at around at least 20 fps throughout the whole game? Right now when I get into more graphically involve areas it floats at around 12/13. I have done all of the game specific advised things too. I know there is no way to do it by running dolphin in snow leopard, but I was wondering if you guys think it is possible to do it w/ bootcamp+windows, and also would xp run as well as 7? like i said, shooting for at least 20 fps

thanks for any and all advice
I wrote something very big but I will change now:

Well... let me say, Zelda twilight princess in my pc (same graphic card as yours, but my CPU is 2,6Ghz) with open gl plugin was this: in hyrule castle and hyrule city i got 90% speed, and in hyrule field I got 40% since it is a combination of a emulator problem and my pc specifcs. Than I warped to the start town and got full speed. full speed to in many other small and with not so many people. so, in your case, put the internal resolution (it is in the enhancment part of the grahpic plugin) in half of native resolution and put frame skipping (it is in the dolphin main windows and in the emulation tab) in 1 or 2.

--------------------------------------------------
sorry for the question. but, USA people use msn messenger? I am brazilian ^^ so, sorry for my english.

skyliner33

(06-24-2011, 12:48 PM)ygorvaz Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, ok, so, if you use Mac Os, than the only thing you can do is use the open gl plugin.
if you are using a recent build -something around 7612~- than on dolphin main windows, click on graphics, than click on the enhancment tab and on "internal display resolution" leave it on 1x, anti-aliasing off, and click now on the "hacks" tab and on EFB copies you must choose texture. also, remeber to not use fullscreen for testing purposes.

-----------------------------------
You're from USA? sorry asking, it is because i am brazilian, so I want to know one thing. USA people use msn messenger?

I hate to be ignorant, but half of what you said is like a different language to me haha. I have actually done what you suggested as far as enhancement and hacks, but still no luck unfortunately

do you suppose that windows+bootcamp is worth a try? and would 7 work faster than xp? thanks a ton for the reply
yeah, my english is not that good, sorry~

actually, you cpu is weak for zelda twilight princess.

I changed my last post, so try this:
In the graphic plugin, in the enhancment tab, leave the internal resolution at half of the native.
and in the dolphin main window, at the emulation tab, put the frame skipping in 1 or 2.
The game quality will drop, but I think that you would gain more fps.

skyliner33

(06-24-2011, 01:11 PM)ygorvaz Wrote: [ -> ]yeah, my english is not that good, sorry~

actually, you cpu is weak for zelda twilight princess.

I changed my last post, so try this:
In the graphic plugin, in the enhancment tab, leave the internal resolution at half of the native.
and in the dolphin main window, at the emulation tab, put the frame skipping in 1 or 2.
The game quality will drop, but I think that you would gain more fps.

thanks a lot, and I wasn't criticizing your english at all, I couldn't even tell. I just had no idea about the build I was using or anything. I tried dropping the reso, and the effects were pretty much negligible. I think I'm just gonna give up on t.p. b/c you're right my cpu is about as weak as it could be to still run it.
well, i started playing twilight princess in some places and i think that, if you try on a native windows system (I never tried in a xp, I am using a windows 7 64 bits) you will have a better performance. The major problem is the open gl plugin. the opengl plugin is slow in zelda twilight princess, in this case the directx 9 is the one that can give you the most fps.
------------------------------------------
wait, which build of dolphin you are using? you can see on the dolphin main windows, clicking on the "help" tab and "about".

skyliner33

(06-24-2011, 01:20 PM)ygorvaz Wrote: [ -> ]well, i started playing twilight princess in some places and i think that, if you try on a native windows system (I never tried in a xp, I am using a windows 7 64 bits) you will have a better performance. The major problem is the open gl plugin. the opengl plugin is slow in zelda twilight princess, in this case the directx 9 is the one that can give you the most fps.
------------------------------------------
wait, which build of dolphin you are using? you can see on the dolphin main windows, clicking on the "help" tab and "about".

I read something about that, and I was looking for a directx 9 for the mac dolphin but, as I expected, it doesn't exist. Thanks a lot for the quick help