Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: now 32bit, would 64 be much better?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everybody. I'm new here, just been playing one game so far on Dolphin which is zelda TP. It doesn't run at 100%, most of the times around 18/25 fps. Hyrule field=13/17 fps, dungeons and other small areas almost 30 fps.
all on 720P btw.

My laptop is a HP elitebook 8540w
specs:
CPU intel core I7 720Q (boost up to 3,2 (2x1,6?) ghz)
graphics Nvidia quadro fx880M 1GB
RAM 4 GB
OS w7 32bit.

Would a 64 bit OS make zelda tp run at 100% one this system? The game is playable right now, but the changing fps is pretty anoying... Changing settings haven't done much for me, resolution doesn't change a thing either.
I'm thinking of changing it to x64, but if it isn't worth it I won't probably.

thnx
If you're not getting 100% speed now you're probably not going to get 100% just by switching to 64-bit. You're probably looking at 5 more frames depending on the game and other factors, personally I would make the switch.
5 more frames... I think I'll test some other games first, see how those are handled by my laptop. I believe zelda is one of the heavier games for PCs?
As I said the game is playable, 5 more frames would be nice but I'm not very keen on reinstalling windows.
I just enabled openMP, which I read here somewhere would enable the use of more cores. It worked, FPS have gone up to 30 in rare cases. The FPS are more unstable then before, anyone an explanation for that? Perhaps i haven't configured dolphin correct.

Graphics:
I'm using 3D9, 720P.

enhancements:
1x native res.
no antialiasing
ansiotropic 1x
scaled EFB copy

Hacks:
Ignore format changes checked.
EFB copies> RAM checked.
external frame buffer disabled.
fast mipmaps checked.
per pixel depth disabled checked.
openMP texture decoder checked.

configure:
activate dualcore checked. (perhaps i should uncheck this?)
idle skipping checked.
framelimit auto checked.
Jit recompiler checked.
lock threads to cores checked.

I am going to try some configurations myself, but I've still got some things to learn about emulating so any help is welcome.

thanx!

Use efb copy to texture.
I have had that on texture before, but it will make the minimap al grey. I can hardly see things clearly on the map.
It does help for the fps though, steady 25-30 with EFBcopies>texture.
what revision you are using?
try rev 6505 (compare it please with newer revs and openmp)

and dont forget

turbo boost is not turbo boost... double edged advertising blade
4 cores - 1.6 to 1.73
2 cores - 1.86 to 2.4
1 core - 2.53 to 2.8

2.4ghz is maybe not enough for zelda...
(06-23-2011, 09:25 AM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]what revision you are using?
try rev 6505 (compare it please with newer revs and openmp)

and dont forget

turbo boost is not turbo boost... double edged advertising blade
4 cores - 1.6 to 1.73
2 cores - 1.86 to 2.4
1 core - 2.53 to 2.8

2.4ghz is maybe not enough for zelda...
I'm using 7612. I am aware that boost isn't some kind of holy grailTongue
But i believe that 1 core should be able of 3,2 gHz in my cpu?

I have tried 6505, it has similar fps but again more unstable. My config on 7612 will allow me to get 25-30 fps most of the time while 6505 sits between 15-30.
thanx for the help though.
I now know how to exchange savefilesBig Grin

I've looked at my task manager performance, just 2 out of 8 graphs are functioning @100%, 2 others at 0,0% (this is the boost, am i correct?). My CPU total is 30% Huh
Ram usage=53%.
My laptop is capable of more, but still dolphin isn't running 100%. Is this due to dolphin's code, or is it still in my configs? x64 is coming closer and closerBig Grin
I7 720qm max turbo is 2.8 but it will stay at 2.4ghz just like @danzen said because dolphin uses 2 cores (use "Realtemp" and see it yourself)
Wii games require 3Ghz -> Your CPU is not capable of playing Wii games
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43122
Btw i have 22-25 FPS in Hyrule Field , other place game run fullspeed with i5 480m
Edit : I forgot to mention the i7 run really hot since it's a quad core , your laptop probably can't handle it
(06-23-2011, 07:56 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]I7 720qm max turbo is 2.8 but it will stay at 2.4ghz just like @danzen said because dolphin uses 2 cores (use "Realtemp" and see it yourself)
Wii games require 3Ghz -> Your CPU is not capable of playing Wii games
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43122
Btw i have 22-25 FPS in Hyrule Field , other place game run fullspeed with i5 480m
Edit : I forgot to mention the i7 run really hot since it's a quad core , your laptop probably can't handle it

thanx for the explanation. My laptop runs pretty hot indeedBig Grin
If thats the case I'm just gonna have to live with it.
I got the answers I wanted so no more need to reply for all of you guys, unless you got some important thing to say ofcourse. Thanx to you all.