Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Laptop reccomendations for playing GC games ONLY
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I want to buy a laptop, that isn't too expensive, but will run gamecube games close to full speed, not interested in wii emulation at all.

Anyone have any specific laptops they can recommend?
You're not going to get a cheap laptop that runs games near full speed, you're going to have to spend some decent money. If a laptop isn't really needed, I suggest getting a desktop PC instead.
For playing only gamecube games?
Cheap as in under $500
And the laptop is completely necessary.
GC games still need plenty of power. I'm not sure where people get the idea that running GC games is an easy task, but you're going to need an i7 laptop. If you can get that for under $500.00, I'd say go for it.

foie

Why would you reccomend a quad-core processor for Dolphin, which only utilises two cores?

Harshboy

(06-22-2011, 03:24 PM)foie Wrote: [ -> ]Why would you reccomend a quad-core processor for Dolphin, which only utilises two cores?

There are some i7 laptop processors that are dual core, for example, the i7 620m or 640m. They're a little old, but they do exist.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6834215126
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6834991039

Game display : 640x480 or 800x525
Most GC games can run at decent speed , not fullspeed

(06-22-2011, 03:24 PM)foie Wrote: [ -> ]Why would you reccomend a quad-core processor for Dolphin, which only utilises two cores?

openmp uses 3-4 cores
(06-23-2011, 06:15 AM)sixor Wrote: [ -> ]

openmp uses 3-4 cores

and whats the peformance increase?
benchmark?
proof? or never happend

1)who knows XD
2)do it yourself
3)use dolphin with openmp enabled and a quad cpu, you will see cpu use at >50% around 70-80% (yep, that´s 3-4 cores)

maybe openmp does the same as opencl "nothing", but it is cool to have it XD
Pages: 1 2