Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Sensor bar range
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

substyle

Hi everybody,

I have recently set up dolphin on my HTPC and the games look fantastic. My question relates to the wireless sensor bar.

I have a 60" DLP and am using the Nyko wireless sensor bar right now (http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Sensor-Ba...100&sr=8-2). However, the range on this sensor bar isn't enough due to how far back i must sit from the bigger TV. I am pretty sure it is only a sensor bar issue because the controls for the wiimote work great otherwise, but when I aim the remote at the TV it gets very choppy. If i take one step forward it seems perfect.

Can anyone recommend a better sensor bar with improved range? It does not need to be wireless (in fact I would not mind a USB one that does not need frequent battery changes). When I was using my actual wii on the TV everything worked flawlessly, so I believe this Nyko bar is to blame.
if theres a lot of sunlight entering the room it can interfere with the sensor bar

if you read the comments on the amazon page you linked, it says you can just place the wireless bar on top of the standard sensor bar to get a better range. after all the sensor bar is only a few InfraRed LEDs spaced apart. you could even use 2 candles to do the same thing

i'm using the standard sensor bar and i can step 3-5 paces away and it will still work, but when its VERY sunny then its 1-2 steps away max

substyle

whoa, i totally didn't think about the sunlight coming in. I will have to try to close some blinds and give it another try. I am in the basement though, so I don't know how much of a difference that is causing (not too much light enters)

As far as placing it on top of the wii sensor, i will try that when I get home. It is an interesting idea and i see now a lot of people are saying it works. I don't keep my Wii plugged in anymore, so if it works out well maybe I will need to pick up a second wireless or a USB sensor bar.

Thanks for the reply.