Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What's a Good Gaming Laptop (and Processor) For Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

RussianHitman14

Hello, I just joined, so please excuse my ignorance.

I'm looking for a gaming laptop that can run dolphin at a good speed (I know that desktops can be less expensive, but I need the portability).

I think I found a good deal at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/G73SW-A1-Republic-...pd_cp_pc_0

It's the Asus G73sw-A1 for $1,532. It's specs are:

--Intel Core i7-2630QM (2.0 GHz Quad-Core with Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz); 8GB DDR3 1333MHz (4 x 2GB SODIMM Sockets, up to 16GB)
--Nvidia GTX 460M Graphics with 1.5GB GDDR5; 1TB Hybrid HDD/SSD (2x 500GB 7200RPM/4GB SSD)
--Blue-Ray Combo Drive; Illuminated Keyboard; 1x USB 3.0 + 3x USB 2.0 Ports; 802.11 b/g/n; Bluetooth; 8-in-1 Card Reader; Gigabit LAN
--17.3-Inch Full HD (1920x1080) LED Display; 2.0M Webcam; Gaming Backpack and Mouse

I'm pretty sure that this laptop can run Dolphin at a good speed, but I'm worried about the processor. Even with Turbo Boost, the i7-2630QM can only reach 2.9GHz (according to NotebookCheck.net). Dolphin, from what I've heard, can only utilize a dual core. I saw a YouTube video showing the Asus G73sw running Super Smash Brothers Brawl at "full speed", but I don't know what settings the guy used.

So basically, my question:

Is a 2.0-2.9GHZ quad core processor enough to run Dolphin at full speed (I'm pretty sure all the other specs on the Asus laptop are definitely enough). If not, do any of you know of a processor for notebooks that has a high base clock speed (preferably above 3GHz, and I'm fine with a dual core, such as the i5)?
If you can customize it at all, I would suggest less RAM (6GB?) and use the money to upgrade the processor to a 2720QM like I have. It turbo-boosts with 2 cores active to 3 GHz happily and can run most games full speed, even CPU intensive ones like Super Mario Galaxy 2. As for the graphics, they'd be fine for native resolution but as for 720p or 1080p I have no idea.