Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Donations and stuff.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everyone,

(06-12-2011, 07:43 PM)Coldbird Wrote: [ -> ]Bout donating a Wii, im sure enough people, including myself would donate cash so you can buy one yourself.

That's what I have been hearing a lot lately. I'm curious if I really would get donated enough to by myself a Wii?

For starters: The thing is, I don't have a Wii. However, owning one would be quite useful since I'd have a reference platform for developing then. Also I would be able to verify some parts of the current emulator implementation against the actual hardware behavior.

Things I MIGHT tackle with a real Wii (in descending likelihood of actually being done):
- Playing more than actually developing (seriously)
- emulation test suite (mostly rendering and FIFO related, but possibly for IOS as well)
- WFC emulation (unlikely)
- Possibly other stuff which I can't think of right now

NOTE TO ANYONE WHO WANTS TO DONATE:
As I indicated in the list above, having a Wii won't magically increase my Dolphin-coding-related productivity. To be honest, while I'd be grateful, I reject any kind of responsibility. That is, don't expect any results to magically pop out of this - I'll still be just as busy with university (even more than recently) and still be just as lazy as recently. Also, I'm not sure for how long I'll keep developing for Dolphin anyway.
tl;dr: I might use a Wii for some awesome stuff, but I also might not. While I'm grateful for any donations I receive, do not expect me to show off results. I won't behave any more politely on the forums either Tongue
Fwiw, if you're donating and do have some wishes about what I should tackle next, you're free to tell me so. Maybe I'll actually work on it then (probably not, but you never know).

So you have been warned Wink Still want to donate? Cool. PM me or answer to this thread, just somehow tell me what amount you feel like donating. I'll give you my paypal info then. Fwiw, I'm not sure if I'll officially thank everyone for donating, but if you object being mentioned, tell me so.

Note that I won't accept any additional donations once I've got enough for a Wii (and for some adapter so that I can connect the Wii to my PC monitor maybe). I guess 200-300 € should suffice thus. Note that I won't spend any money on a Wii unless I really get enough donations due to a lack of money otherwise.

Thanks again.
Sincerely,
neobrain.
How about donating a Wii console instead of money? Although i don't intend to pay for travel expenses Tongue. In which country do you live? If you live in Germany, a pal console would be ok i suppose?
I wouldn't have expected anyone to donate as much as a whole Wii to me, but yeah of course. As long as I can run homebrew with it (preferably already hacked or with an exploitable Wii Menu). Yes, I do live in Germany and a pal console is okay.
(06-12-2011, 11:30 PM)NeoBrain Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't have expected anyone to donate as much as a whole Wii to me, but yeah of course. As long as I can run homebrew with it (preferably already hacked or with an exploitable Wii Menu). Yes, I do live in Germany and a pal console is okay.

It's not hacked (don't know if it is exploitable either), it has also some additional cables (component). Send me through a pm your whole postal address (remember though that travel expenses will be yours). And of course it is slightly used but works fine.
If someone donates a Wii, is there anything else that you would need a bit of cash for? I can probably spare a bit by next month, but probably only $10 - $25 since finances are tight atm.
(06-13-2011, 07:55 AM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]If someone donates a Wii, is there anything else that you would need a bit of cash for? I can probably spare a bit by next month, but probably only $10 - $25 since finances are tight atm.

You'll probably want some way to run homebrew. The only sure way to do that without knowing the Wii firmware version is either with an old copy of Smash Bros. Brawl that has an exploit in its custom stage editor (I'm pretty sure newer versions fixed the exploit) or one of the LEGO movie games. (Indiana Jones, Batman, or Star Wars.) You'll also need an SD card for homebrew.

EDIT: You might also want a USB Gecko, but it may or may not be that useful to you.
(06-13-2011, 10:51 AM)Toad King Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-13-2011, 07:55 AM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]If someone donates a Wii, is there anything else that you would need a bit of cash for? I can probably spare a bit by next month, but probably only $10 - $25 since finances are tight atm.

You'll probably want some way to run homebrew. The only sure way to do that without knowing the Wii firmware version is either with an old copy of Smash Bros. Brawl that has an exploit in its custom stage editor (I'm pretty sure newer versions fixed the exploit) or one of the LEGO movie games. (Indiana Jones, Batman, or Star Wars.) You'll also need an SD card for homebrew.

EDIT: You might also want a USB Gecko, but it may or may not be that useful to you.

Nope, there aren't any newer versions, and since NeoBrain lives in Germany he would simply need to get the PAL Version and if he doesn't know, how to hack his Wii (I doubt that)
there is a Website called Wii-Homebrew.com, they have very good Tutorials there (They are in German)
(Yes, i know, i'm adversiting Tongue)

So far I think I'm fine. However, I still might need to buy an adapter to connect the Wii to a PC monitor and will need some way to enable homebrew.
But even if the sys menu installed on that Wii isn't exploitable, I'll just temporarily get some stupid lego game or something. Anyway, I'll notify you guys once I need something again ;D

Thanks so far.
(06-13-2011, 08:46 PM)NeoBrain Wrote: [ -> ]

So far I think I'm fine. However, I still might need to buy an adapter to connect the Wii to a PC monitor and will need some way to enable homebrew.
But even if the sys menu installed on that Wii isn't exploitable, I'll just temporarily get some stupid lego game or something. Anyway, I'll notify you guys once I need something again ;D

Thanks so far.

Woot! :p
Don't tell me anyone really plays those games Tongue
Pages: 1 2