Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Hi, I'm nu (and in trouble)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Nommy

I've tried using the Dolphin (even using older builds), but every time I open the program, it shuts down giving me the windows error message "This program has closed unexpectedly. We're sorry for writing such a sloppy OS. Suck it."

So, I was wondering if it's just that my computer sucks, or do I have a chance of running this program that I don't see. So, for someone who can tell me, here're my specs.

AMD Sempron™ 3000+ MMX(+), 3DNow(+), SSE (1 core, 1 thread)

1Gb DDR Ram

NVIDIA Geforce4 MX Integrated GPU - 64 Mb memory

MOTHERBOARDNVIDIA nForce2 IGP
NVIDIA nForce2 MCP

Graphics Interface
AGP version 2.0

Windows XP Home Edition (SP3, build 2600)

DirectX 10.0 (March 2009 DX 9 installed)
Your CPU does not meet the minimum requirements. You must have a CPU that supports SSE2, yours doesn't. Basically, your entire PC is far too old to do anything useful with any kind of games. If you're interested, you need a strong Dual-Core CPU with a strong video card to use this emulator well.
CPU doesn't support SSE2
GPU/Graphics lacks support for any kind of Shader Model such as Pixel/Vertex shading 2.0a which is the minimum requirement for running Dolphin.

It's not an Operating System issue, it has nothing to do with that. It has do with crappy hardware that can't even run PC games made in the last 7 - 8 years let alone resource intensive emulators such as Dolphin and PCSX2.

Forget about emulating systems such as the PS2, GC/Wii or any system for that matter except maybe NES, Snes, Genesis and buy a GC/Wii. You are going to spend way more on the PC hardware needed to run Dolphin efficiently than buying a GC/Wii. You will spend upwards of $600 - $1000 on PC hardware to get decent performance out of Dolphin, whereas a Wii costs $150 now and a Gamecube costs about $30.

Also you can't have DirectX 10, neither your OS or hardware supports DX 10. You only have DX9 providing you have updated DirectX since purchasing your system or installing Windows.
I'm not sure why you had to post pretty much the same thing I just posted, but okay. Thread closed since it cannot go anywhere else from here.
Because you didn't explain the specifics except for saying his cpu doesn't support sse2 and a strong video card is needed, you forgot to mention his gpu is old and doesn't support shaders.

Also no need to close the thread just yet, no rules have been broken nor has the thread derailed off topic. Maybe he'll decide to respond only to find out he can't because the thread has been closed.
(06-09-2011, 07:29 AM)[SS] Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]your entire PC is far too old to do anything useful with any kind of games.

That pretty much says it all there buddy.

That doesn't say much, he'll just ask why it's too old or what is too old. I saved from further explanation on the subject and pointed out exactly what the problems are with his current hardware.
thats right...
this guy seriously thought his rig is fast enough for everything...

Nommy

What an unfriendly bunch.

Yes, it helps to know my PC won't run it and why. But if I'm able to run games that, according to the minimum req. specs, I shouldn't be running, then why do they run on my PC? Like Warhammer 40k, Dark Crusade. Runs a bit slow, but it runs well enough to play accurately.

On second thought, don't answer that. I can only imagine what sort of patronizing reply I'd get.

Also, I do own the games I play, but the one I actualy WANT to keep playing is too scratched to play. Well, actually, it'll play, but at certain points, the GC reads that it can't read the disc, but if I open and close the lid, it'll play again for roughly about an hour.

Anyway, thanks, I think...
Dolphin needs certain features to replicate the graphical effects of the GC/Wii. The best they could do for seriously insufficient hardware, would be to just allow a bunch of missing graphics, (running in glorious 5-10 FPS)

I believe minimum requirements at least guarantee you the game will run full speed at the lowest settings. Basically, game companies doesn't want a storm of complaints from people who weren't satisfied with the performance on their minimum requirement-meeting computers.
Pages: 1 2