Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Super frustrated, help?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Plsultra

I'm at a dead end or else I wouldn't have registered, pleeeeease help.

I downloaded dolphin and I cant get anything to run smoothly. Wind waker wont go above 18 fps without severely damaging the visual quality. Resident Evil Zero funs a bit better but still laggy at 22 fps during gameplay and runs beautifully during cutscenes at 62fps. I tried out metroid prime and it runs like shit too jumping between 19 and 35fps. I guess I'm just wondering if I can tweak the settings to the point where these games will run perfectly or at least playable.

I just bought a HP Pavillion dm4 with i5 a few weeks ago.

specs
Processor: Intel Core i5 2.26 GHz
RAM: 4.0GB
Hard drive: 500.0gb - 7200.0rpm
graphics processor/vendor: 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5450 switchable graphics [HDMI, VGA]

I'm starting to think this computer just isnt good enough to play these games :'(
Many thanks to anyone who can help!
(06-04-2011, 05:05 PM)Plsultra Wrote: [ -> ]I'm at a dead end or else I wouldn't have registered, pleeeeease help.

I downloaded dolphin and I cant get anything to run smoothly. Wind waker wont go above 18 fps without severely damaging the visual quality. Resident Evil Zero funs a bit better but still laggy at 22 fps during gameplay and runs beautifully during cutscenes at 62fps. I tried out metroid prime and it runs like shit too jumping between 19 and 35fps. I guess I'm just wondering if I can tweak the settings to the point where these games will run perfectly or at least playable.

I just bought a HP Pavillion dm4 with i5 a few weeks ago.

specs
Processor: Intel Core i5 2.26 GHz
RAM: 4.0GB
Hard drive: 500.0gb - 7200.0rpm
graphics processor/vendor: 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5450 switchable graphics [HDMI, VGA]

I'm starting to think this computer just isnt good enough to play these games
:'(
Many thanks to anyone who can help!

Well you are right there :3
You laptop is decent for playing normal pc games on lower settings just fine. But laptops are usually not so good for emulation (well ps2/gc/wii area).

For GC you need like 2.6+ghz to get "playable" speeds, and like 3ghz+ to get full speeds (though it goes for a game by game basis). I play on a 2.4ghz and i consider it alright, some games i get as low as 18-22fps. (like RE games), but some games i can hit 100% speed.

Even though the i5 is a good processor, dual core with 4threads turbo boost etc.
all it really comes down to is the clock speed for running emulators.

I would look into the game discussion to find the "optimal" settings for each game to run better. Also make sure since you have a lower speed processor, try and cut processes you dont need. You can even go and disable visual effects lol.
and your games (Metroid, RE...) are very demanding so even with good engine and settings don't expect more than 30 fps...

Plsultra

(06-04-2011, 06:35 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]and your games (Metroid, RE...) are very demanding so even with good engine and settings don't expect more than 30 fps...

around 30fps is straight, though. RE0 is doable so far. Hopefully pikmin and tales of symphonia are playable, probably not though. but fuck i really wanted to play wind waker.
try rev 6505...
its the fastest one(lesser compatibility)
(06-05-2011, 12:51 AM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]try rev 6505...
its the fastest one(lesser compatibility)

it won't go over 30... Wink
Do you play with your notebook plugged into charge? I'm asking because some HP notebooks reduce the clocks of CPU and GPU to extend battery duration and life...